Compressed HDNet Movies and InHD or just HDNet Movies at higher bit-rate?

Compressed HDNet Movies and InHD or just HDNet Movies at higher bandwidth?

• HDNet Movies and InHD

Votes: 45 43.7%
  • HDNet Movies at higher bit-rate

Votes: 49 47.6%
  • Don't know or don't care

Votes: 9 8.7%

• Total voters

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
One more "quantity vs. quality" poll. Very specific this time.
What would you prefer given a choice: two HD channels (HDNet Movies and InHD) at higher compression and slightly reduced resolution, or just one HD channel (HDNet movies), but at a much higher bit-rate.

Please vote!

I hate these polls. It gives people the false impression that there's some statement floating around that dish can only add hd channels by reducing quality and that's simply not true...

I don't know what is technically possible, but the main question here is what is important for the customers and what is not.
Dish Network has been adding new HD channels, while at the same time gradually degrading the picture quality.
And I have an impression that someone at Dish thinks that PQ is not very important, or at least it is much less important than adding new channels.
I hope, the main message that this and other similar polls will send to Dish is that significant percentage of their customers (or at least of their HD customers), do care about picture quality and the level of compression. So much so, that they are willing to sacrifice certain channels to get better picture quality on the remaining channels.
Of course, if Dish can give us new channels without sacrificing quality, that would be best. No question about it! But first, we need to show them, that we do care about picture quality. If we do... ;)

The thing about this poll is that INHD has NOTHING to do with the PQ of HDNet Movies.

The problem here is that Dish is putting NFL-HD up on the same transponder as HDNet and HDNet Movies.

Hopefully when this free preview is done it goes back the way it was. This has nothing to do with INHD being added to 61.5 and 129.

Scott Greczkowski said:
The thing about this poll is that INHD has NOTHING to do with the PQ of HDNet Movies.

The problem here is that Dish is putting NFL-HD up on the same transponder as HDNet and HDNet Movies.

Hopefully when this free preview is done it goes back the way it was. This has nothing to do with INHD being added to 61.5 and 129.
Let's hope that this is the case and it will all go back to normal. And perhaps even one day all HD channels will be back to full resolution. ;)
The question of the poll still stands though. If they were not adding InHD and other channels, perhaps they would've found enough room for full-bitrate HDNet Movies and NFL-HD too.

Again, the main question here is about our priorities. What is more important for us? More channels or higher quality?

Scott Greczkowski said:
Hopefully when this free preview is done it goes back the way it was.

Yep......we keep "hoping and hoping" and so far it isn't working too well. Let's see; it started with Voom in December 05, and we "hoped" it was just temporary as we were told by Dish people that they were "looking into the problem and hoping (ah...that word again) to have resolved shortly", then it was rumored to be a "fiber" issue and should be resolved soon. Ah and then MPEG4 would be the answer to all of the bandwidth issues and as soon as the new receivers were out there and new satellites were launched, all would be well again with the PQ. Then we found out that the new MPEG4 channels were really MPEG2 but flagged so no one with the old MPEG2 receivers could receive them. And still we continue to "hope and hope". It's great to be an optimist but how many times do you have to get lied to before you see that Dish has no intention of addressing this issue, nor do they really give a rat's ass what anyone thinks about it?

Sorry to all to be on a rant but you know what.....I can handle the truth and if Dish would just be honest in their communications and intentions with their customers, I believe everyone would be a lot less angry. Let's all remember that we do not receive these services for free and all pay dearly for HD services.

Scott Greczkowski said:

Sorry, I heard this same argument when Voom originally went on with 6 channels on HDLITE.....and then the fiber feed...blah blah blah.

You had the heads up this was coming last week and yet the front page isn't plastered with the travesty of HDNET getting destroyed - only praise for E* for adding INHD.

When was the last time Dish actually improved an HD channel? Outside of continuing to tweak their "not ready for primetime" MPEG4 channels, without giving them more resolution or bandwidth?

Tom Bombadil said:
When was the last time Dish actually improved an HD channel? Outside of continuing to tweak their "not ready for primetime" MPEG4 channels, without giving them more resolution or bandwidth?

And the answer is..........NEVER

What channel is NFL-HD? I'm not seeing it on my 811/942. Let me guess, it's only available to the ViP receivers, right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)