Computer makers sued over size of hard drives

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

James

2004 NL MVP
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 6, 2003
Austin Business Journal Article
A group of computer owners has filed a lawsuit against some of the world's biggest makers of personal computers -- including Dell Inc. -- claiming their advertising deceptively overstates the true capacity of their hard drives, Reuters reports.

The lawsuit, which seeks class-action status, was filed this week in Los Angeles Superior Court against Round Rock-based Dell [Nasdaq: DELL] as well as Apple Computer Inc. [Nasdaq: AAPL], Gateway Inc. [NYSE: GTW], Hewlett-Packard Co. [NYSE: HPQ], IBM Corp. [NYSE: IBM], Sharp Corp., Sony Corp. [NYSE: SNE] and Toshiba Corp.
Why are they not going after the hard drive makers?

"Why are they not going after the hard drive makers?"

My guess is because these companies are making the claims not the makers???

I knew this would become an issue sooner or later! When I got a then "enormous" 300 Megabyte (yes Mega...not giga) for the increadibly low price of $249 years ago I was quite PISSED when I found out that it was actually a 300,000,000 Byte Hard Drive! Of course the computer saw it as a 292.9 MB hard drive. :)

I was aware of this issue when I got my current 60 gigabyte hard drive that in reality holds 57.2 GB.

For those that don't think it's that much, the discrepancy is equal to ten 300 Megabyte hard drives. :D

See ya
Tony

Tony:

I always assumed that Windows took up all that other space? I don't care one way or the other.

My guess is thatt hey are going after those that they purchased the hard drives from.

Status
Not open for further replies.