Computer Questions

Tecmo SB Guy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
Hi. I have a general question and I wanted to know what the answer was because I'm not sure.

If there's a new version of a program available (any program), what's the better thing to do? Uninstall the old version of the program off your hard drive first and then install the new version or install the new version over the old version?

With most all operating systems it doesn't seem to pose much of a problem to just install a new version over the existing (ie upgrade). In the rare case you do have an issue you can always remove the entire program and install the new version from scratch.

well in some cases an upgrade will check to see the original copy is on the hard drive, not always but sometimes
Also often when you upgrade the setting you entered before are retained so you dont have to set them all again.

So my preference is to always install over the top, and some installs will remove the previous version for you. Again not always but on many occasions.

I think the only example where some recommend a re-install is the OS, i have seen people posting that they annually re-install the os, i don't but i know some do.

well in some cases an upgrade will check to see the original copy is on the hard drive, not always but sometimes
Also often when you upgrade the setting you entered before are retained so you dont have to set them all again.

So my preference is to always install over the top, and some installs will remove the previous version for you. Again not always but on many occasions.

I think the only example where some recommend a re-install is the OS, i have seen people posting that they annually re-install the os, i don't but i know some do.

That is how i understand it works and have found in most cases that the software looks for older versions and if it finds one it just puts in the updated files to make it the new version and keeps all of your settings and info you have setup for that program. ( MOST OF THE TIME )

If there's a new version of a program available (any program), what's the better thing to do? Uninstall the old version of the
program off your hard drive first and then install the new version or install the new version over the old version?
I'd recommend to get rid of the old version first (uninstall it).

In most cases, properly written software will come with a note whether the new version can be installed over the old one.
Some software will even uninstall the old version before installing the new (e.g. TheaterTek).

To play it safe - uninstall first.

Diogen.

I usually just install right over top of the old one, then it usually keeps all my previous settings.

I'd recommend to get rid of the old version first (uninstall it).

In most cases, properly written software will come with a note whether the new version can be installed over the old one.
Some software will even uninstall the old version before installing the new (e.g. TheaterTek).

To play it safe - uninstall first.

Diogen.

Also, when you uninstall a program does it actually take out every part of the program? Because I noticed with some programs that I've uninstalled there are still remnants left over, like they'll be a folder in C:\Program Files and some files left in it. And I imagine there's still stuff left in the registry. Could this adversely affect the new version of the program and my computer down the road?

Also, when you uninstall a program does it actually take out every part of the program?
In most cases it doesn't, sometimes by design (i.e. trial period over), most of the time by sloppy programming.

When not sure about how clean a program can be uninstalled - make a backup first.
I do this with video card drivers all the time...

Diogen.

In most cases it doesn't, sometimes by design (i.e. trial period over), most of the time by sloppy programming.

When not sure about how clean a program can be uninstalled - make a backup first.
I do this with video card drivers all the time...

Diogen.

Aint that the truth.

In my experience, doing a proper install is just as complicated as writing the application, but it seldom gets the respect it deserves. Installs are often written at the last minute by the least experienced team member. Way too often they will load drivers explicitly, not worrying about the need to check for future versions. They will put in registry keys with hard coding, thus not letting them be backed out at uninstall. They will set up hard paths, not allowing the user to select. One of the biggest things is when a program installs another program as subordinate, it will not allow options and/or overwrite checking.

InstallShield has a lot of capability and will do it right if you understand. Most people these days use Microsoft MSI installer because it is free, even though it is very limited.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)