Conexant, Humax, DirecTV Gather ‘Round the LCD

Status
Please reply by conversation.
dlsnyder said:
Perhaps the emphasis is on the wrong thing with this product. Maybe it would be better to develop a line of TVs (plasma, LCD, whatever) to which an optional module can be added by the consumer based on viewing preferences. If the consumer prefers cable, a module which can take a CableCARD could be added. If the consumer prefers DirecTV, the DirecTV module could be added. It could even include a DVR by adding a hard drive. All of the software would reside in the set, the module would only contain what was necessary to tune the signal and for conditional access. It would be even better if the interface for the module were some sort of industry standard, like a PCI bus on a computer. The FCC could make it happen if there was enough interest.

Yep, I see that as just a much, much smaller version of the set-top boxes we have now, but internal.

http://www.videsignline.com/products/172302232

One of the things about this I noticed also is its not HD. It has a D11 built in. Why? I can go to walmart and buy a 15 HD monitor for around 300 and get a H10 free and have HD in the morning while I eat breakfast.

charper1 said:
Yep, I see that as just a much, much smaller version of the set-top boxes we have now, but internal.

http://www.videsignline.com/products/172302232

That's a pretty cool product, but notice that they don't have one that receives European DVB satellite signals. The card would still have to be physically quite large to serve as a satellite IRD, and would generate quite a bit of heat. Some sort of centralized DBS "server" in the home with a large hard drive, using a card similar to this one at each TV set, might serve the same purpose. Connect all of the sets in the home via IP and you have a total home entertainment network. It could be a reasonable alternative to FiOS, especially in rural areas.

The sets that are the subject of the original post in this thread would only be suitable for use in the kitchen or maybe a bathroom (?). They can't even receive the HD channels much less display them properly so what's the point?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)