Configuring a DVD Recorder with my 510 Reciever

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

texasamy79

Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
I'm new, so please forgive my lack of techno-speak.

I looked through the 4 pages of posts in this section and couldn't find an answer to my question, so I thought I'd ask (although I'm sure it's been addressed before.) I'm NOT interested in getting programs from my receiver onto my computer hard drive (I know that borders on hacking from previous posts.)

My question is this: is it possible to hook up a DVD-R Player/Recorder (like a sony or Toshiba) to my Dish receiver like you would a VCR to get the programs off? I've never done either, but I know I read in my manual that you could hook up a VCR and record a program. My Boyfriend ships out to Iraq soon, and as silly as it sounds, LOVES Gilmore Girls, so I'd like to surprise him and send him the episodes as they play off, but he won't have access to a VCR, only a partible DVD player. (And really, would he want to let all those other guys know he watches gilmore girls out on one of the public TVs anyway?) This is his 2nd deployment in the last 18 months, and the first time I just recorded all the episodes and saved them on my receiver (which he watched in one marathon day after returning.) But about 2 weeks ago my receiver crashed and I lost all the stuff I recorded, which makes me nervous for the next time that he goes- he would have been REALLY depressed if he'd found out that he wasn't going to get to watch all those episodes. It's the little things, you know?

Ok, enough rambling- basically, if anyone knows if it's possible to hook up a DVD recorder the same basic way you'd hook up a VCR, please let me know, and if you have reccomendations of DVD recorders that work well, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks, Amy

Welcome to SatelliteGuys Amy... Yes you can hook up a dvd standalone recorder and record just as you would with a vcr. I do it with a Pansonic and use re-recordable dvd-ram discs, but you could find one that records to dvd-rw (more compatable with most players)

How??

dfergie said:
Welcome to SatelliteGuys Amy... Yes you can hook up a dvd standalone recorder and record just as you would with a vcr. I do it with a Pansonic and use re-recordable dvd-ram discs, but you could find one that records to dvd-rw (more compatable with most players)

I have a Panasonic DMR-E85H. On Sunday I am losing my just installed 510 for an HD Receiver. Is it possible to record off of the HD Receiver. I would like to be able to record the digital channels at least. If I cannot record the HD channels that is OK. When I called I did not hear about the HD possibilities and the Dish Installer thought I could just swap my 510 for a HD DVR. But when I called to schedule the install, I was told it could not be done. I had to buy an HD DVR. (Because I only have one TV and bc of the contract I have). So when I spoke with tedch today they told me I could swap the 510 for an HD Receiver. Since I cannot record anymore, I am hoping that I can record with my Panasonic. can I???

Yes, you can. The DVD recorder works just like a VCR. You will have to connect it to the three RCA jacks (yellow, red, and white). I'm pretty sure you can record HD channels, although it won't be HD quality.

Oh, that's right. Use the S-Video and the audio RCA jacks (red and white). The S-Video is a little better than the yellow RCA.

Yes, try both. Although if you're getting a 942, you won't have an S-Vid otuput. However I found that the composites (red, white, yellow) on the 942 provide just as good a picture as my S-Vid did on the 811.

I have my 942 in single mode. TV2 RCA's go to my slingbox and then RCA's from my slingbox to my Panny DMR-E80H on the hard drive . I then sometimes edit the programs and burn them to disk DVD-r. The Panasonic works pretty much like a VCR, all manual timers but that is fine with me, I love it.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys- i'll make sure to keep it all in mind when purchasing a DVD Recorder. Thanks!

amy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)