Configuring Globecast, Dish500 Pro and DiSEqC

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Babadem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 21, 2007
MA
I need to know how to connect my Globecast receiver with my DiSecqC 4X1 switch to receive FTA channels from Satellites 110 & 119. FTA channels from Galaxy 25 (97.0w) are all fine. Currently, I have the DiSecqC 4X1 switch hooked up as follows: Dish500pro=port A and 22Kz off and Globecast=PortB and 22Kz off. With this configuration, I only get the GOLTV both Spanish and English versions, but for some reason I cannot receive the NASA, and Angel One Channels. Is there something that I didn't do correctly? What role does the 22kz on the receiver setup screen play if any in this kind of setup? I am getting solid gold (yellow) of 92% of Signal strength and 89% picture quality on NASA 12370 R, 20000 SR and Angel One 12516 R, 20000 SR, but when I do "Scan Satellite" “Scan Network” or “Scan Transponder” no NASA or Angel TV!! Forgive me if this has been discussed before.

The Dish Pro Twin LNB , as found on the Dish 500 antenna, has a diseqc switch built-in.
Depending on which of its two connectors you attach to, it powers-on defaulting to the 110º or 119º LNB.

Ya can't usually daisy-chain two diseqc switches, regardless of the fact that a dishPro Twin LNB can be cascaded through multiple DP34 switches.
(that's a special case)

If you only wanted NASA and Angel on 119º, you might swap the cables at the LNB.
If you wanted to get both 110 and 119, you might use a 22khz switch instead of your diseqc switch.
eg: 22khz on for Globecast; 22khz off and diseqc 1 for 119, 22khz off and diseqc 2 for 110
I'm not sure either is the best answer.
(oh, wait... will a common $5 22khz switch pass diseqc commands?)
Maybe someone else can offer a better solution?

In the event you have the Twin that is not dishPro, all bets are off. :rolleyes:
It would not be compatible with your switching techniques.

You need to hook both lines from the Twin to the Diseqc. If you only hook it up to one side, you will only get that satellite.

simple elegance

You need to hook both lines from the Twin to the Diseqc.
If you only hook it up to one side, you will only get that satellite.
I assumed the Dish Twin LNB was in use by a Dish receiver.
If it's free, Iceberg has the best answer! :)
And if it's not dishPro, it'll still work fine this way.

Though, if it's a dishPro and bandstacked...
I'm assuming the Globecast receiver can't do bandstacked (?) . . .
I think you can still get NASA and Angel.
Does that prevent reception of any other unencrypted channels?

The Dish Pro Twin LNB , as found on the Dish 500 antenna, has a diseqc switch built-in.
Depending on which of its two connectors you attach to, it powers-on defaulting to the 110º or 119º LNB.

Ya can't usually daisy-chain two diseqc switches, regardless of the fact that a dishPro Twin LNB can be cascaded through multiple DP34 switches.
(that's a special case)

If you only wanted NASA and Angel on 119º, you might swap the cables at the LNB.
If you wanted to get both 110 and 119, you might use a 22khz switch instead of your diseqc switch.
eg: 22khz on for Globecast; 22khz off and diseqc 1 for 119, 22khz off and diseqc 2 for 110
I'm not sure either is the best answer.
(oh, wait... will a common $5 22khz switch pass diseqc commands?)
Maybe someone else can offer a better solution?

In the event you have the Twin that is not dishPro, all bets are off. :rolleyes:
It would not be compatible with your switching techniques.
The Twin are DishPro as I see the logo on the back case of the LNB.

You need to hook both lines from the Twin to the Diseqc. If you only hook it up to one side, you will only get that satellite.
But, I have two cables running from the DishPro and each going to separate rooms and capable of recieving 110 & 119. Are you saying that I should run 2 cables from the DishPro to my DiseqC switch instead of one?

Though, if it's a dishPro and bandstacked...
yes a DishPro is bandstacked
I'm assuming the Globecast receiver can't do bandstacked (?) . . .
I assume so
I think you can still get NASA and Angel.
as long as they are vertical TP's, yes you can. Its the H side that is wacky
Does that prevent reception of any other unencrypted channels?
sort of...the H polarity stuff becomes V polarity and is at higher frequencies (around 13000)

But, I have two cables running from the DishPro and each going to separate rooms and capable of recieving 110 & 119. Are you saying that I should run 2 cables from the DishPro to my DiseqC switch instead of one?

what is your current setup for both Dish & FTA?

Trying to figure it out and that is where the confusion lies.

I think the setup you are describing won't work with the Globecast receiver due to bandstacking of the DishPro LNBF. If you were using a standard FTA receiver, you could do a blindscan and pick up all of the frequencies (including the higher ones)...

A solution would be to try to find an old "legacy" Dish 500 (there aren't too many of them around these days)... They have two completely separate LNBFs. If you can find the LNBFs alone, you can remove the DP LNBF and attach the two separate LNBFs to the Y adapter.

what is your current setup for both Dish & FTA?

Trying to figure it out and that is where the confusion lies.
After the initial response, i ran both cables from the dish to the Diseqc switch as follows: 110.0W to port A: 97.0W to Port B: and 119 to Port C:....... :DEverything seem ok for a while until in my excitement I forgot the ever mortal rule of always switch off your receiver power supply before changing cables! (Note: There is no on/off switch on the back of the Globecast receiver; so I had to always unplug the power from the back) :( then the awful smell:eek: ...............my Diseqc switch was fried! Dead! :eek:

One more thing I plugged one of my Dish cables via the power surge protectors and then into the switch. Is it adivasble to keep doing so?:confused:

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.