Confirmed. Sky Angel is out of business as of January 14th.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I wonder how many people couldnt get internet fast enough to get the IPTV setup whereas they did have the dish setup?

Most of the "ex" skyangel customers I knew had no internet ... or none with speed fast enough to make the change and dropped their service. Some of them didn't even have email or dialup. They were not happy...

They could have leased a transponder off of a satellite elsewhere to provide the service and offered an upgrade option off of 61.5. It would have been harder to install and required a new dish and maybe a new receiver as well though as it would have most likely been Ku.

Most people I know who had SkyAngel wouldn't pay money for things even if they had the money... even if they had lots of money... (This goes for churches too)

That would go for internet they won't spend the money... heck getting a lot of these people to sign up for the SkyAngel satellite service was a miracle in itself at times.

Scott you sure did hit that nail right on the head.

I wonder what will happen to NeuLion?

I assume you mean systems sold....since G* is free they really cant count who all tunes into one or more of their channels ;)

I would guess that they had so few subs left that it won't make a noticeable difference to Glorystar or Roku.
Bob

Sky Angel

I have a little more information than has been posted. Rob was trying to enter into competition with the cable companies as viewers of Sky Angel were demanding more secular programming. Cable providers then started dropping programming like the 4 Discovery channels and not honoring there contracts or refusing to sell programming. Cable companies just don't like the competition with IPTV. They went to the FCC and were ignored for over a year. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/23/b...ng-video-sites-like-cable-companies.html?_r=0

They sued the FCC and were finally heard. You can read the proceedings on the web. After the hearing last year nothing has happened again. I think by shutting down Rob is forcing the FCC's hand.

Sky Angel was the first to start IPTV. Now others are looking at starting their own like Google and Intel and they will have the same problem that Sky Angel has with the cable companies.

Sky Angel has about 150,000 subscribers to IPTV. They lost about 10,000 when Discovery was taken off.

I personally believe had they stayed with Christian programming they could have made it, but with that only they would always have been small. By not including secular programming they just can't compete until and if IPTV programming is demanded to be made available to them just like the problem satellite companies had when they started. It's really in the hands of the FCC. The big cable companies will protest until it happens.

It may be Sky Angel is shutting down in wait of what happens. They have no better ammunition than to show they were put out of business because of the FCC. They may come back, just my thought. They have a huge investment in equipment that I'm sure there not going to sell as they are still providing their own programming on Dish. Then again they might see a problem in trying to compete with Google and others that would offer the same thing in IPTV. They would still have the platform of Family Friendly programming as a selling feature.

I think you added a couple 0's to the estimation of their subscriber base for IPTV. Also, as for Skyangel being the 'originator of IPTV', or "first on IPTV" bosh!

Apparently, you've never heard of "Webtv", later becoming MSNtv which started 18 years ago!

Yep. Although I can't help but think they may change that model down the road.

I remember their early commercials. It was an attractive service. I used to watch TVU on Amc-3 c band back in the day which was available on SA.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)