Conflicted- to hop or not to hop

rogerpl

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Northern Vt.
20 year old sony just died- yippee- so now have new HD on the way. Current set up is three tvs -one 622 and one 722 with sd to sony. So i need HD in 2nd bedroom but not sure with hopper issues if i want to go that root. Trying to decide and need costs. I know what I'm paying now and with 2 hoppers and one joey I know the costs. But what if I keep the 722 in main viewing room and add two 612 to the bedrooms. Thoughts

Tough because It really depends on what you like better. You have the right idea about getting two Hoppers then as many Joeys as you need if you go the Hopper route. My 612's have been the best receivers I have had with Dish other than going back to the dark ages of the 301 models. But they were not DVR's etc.... I do see the latest update may have caused some problems with the Hopper, but overall people seem to like the Hopper. In the end, I've been no help.... lol

;) to T8!

If you require OTA then you might wait on H/J. Might not be much longer before they put it on the street. But function wise, I think you'll find H/J the superior choice. Of course, this based on what I've read, because I'm waiting on H/J to get OTA and manual timers.

You also need to think about the Joey being a dumb receiver. Only the Hopper has tuners and hard drives if it fails entire system is dead.

You also need to think about the Joey being a dumb receiver. Only the Hopper has tuners and hard drives if it fails entire system is dead.
If redundancy is that important, just get two hoppers.

For me, the issue was number of tuners and not whether the hopper failed or not. The only way to get the minimum 4 tuners that were needed in my household to avoid conflicts was to get two hoppers.

not sure with hopper issues if i want to go that root.
There are occasional hiccups with some new firmware updates, but most issues are resolved within a week or two. The vast majority of people on the forum are happy with their systems. As long as you're sure H/J meets your needs, then i'd go for the newer system. There are some issues that affect a small group of people like OTA, manual timers, etc that might make someone stay on the existing VIP equipment.

Last edited:
I've been in touch with DIRT, THANKS MARYB, and not able to get the two hopper one joey set up through Dish. If I get a 2 hopper 2 joey set up and just cancel 2nd joey when they install - is that what's been going down?
If I switch out a duo DVR for 2 612s it would cost 3.00more a month or 2 a month over hopper set up. Guess I want 2 hopper for sure well worth the extra upfront cost
I do want my OTA. I assume OTA will go from hopper to joey.

Last edited:
I've been in touch with DIRT, THANKS MARYB, and not able to get the two hopper one joey set up through Dish. If I get a 2 hopper 2 joey set up and just cancel 2nd joey when they install - is that what's been going down?
If I switch out a duo DVR for 2 612s it would cost 3.00more a month or 2 a month over hopper set up. Guess I want 2 hopper for sure well worth the extra upfront cost
I do want my OTA. I assume OTA will go from hopper to joey.

I'm interested in how this works out for you. I am inclined to get a 2H/0J setup, and plan to try to do so thru a dealer, as others have had success in this manner. Or I could go thru Dish, get a 2H/2J installed, and then return one or both Joeys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts