Conflicting TiVo information

Status
Please reply by conversation.

panchopantera

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2004
I'm sorry if this topic has been largely discussed before, but I do not seem to get a definitive answer on this...

Does TiVo have to dial on a regular basis, or does it only need to dial during setup and then all updates are done through the dish?

I've read one post that said that only once and then through the dish, but some friends tell me that they have to dial at least every month or so.. one said that he got a system upgrade just after one of his scheduled dials..

Thanks for any input..

A DirecTivo needs a phone line for the initial setup AND to upload any PPV and other "remote" orders. If you order your PPV's via the website then my understanding is you need the phone line once for setup. Super experts will correct me if I am wrong here.

charper1 said:
A DirecTivo needs a phone line for the initial setup AND to upload any PPV and other "remote" orders. If you order your PPV's via the website then my understanding is you need the phone line once for setup. Super experts will correct me if I am wrong here.

Correct on all counts - you will also get a nag screen about no phone line, which you can safely skip right over with no problems.

Thank you for this information. I just got finished ordering an HD-TIVO and the CSR was emphatic that i needed a phone line connected, or I would risk a service shut down after 1 or 2 months of no phone line.

I tried to reply earlier im guessing i messed up..

you get SOFTWARE updates through Phone as well.

2 resons you need phone

PPV ordering... big whoop

Software... initial setup youll need it and it takes about an hour to get the latest software.

after the first software and service initialization you dont need it.

but if you can... hook it up once a month and do a daily call and itll save the nag screen and get any new software

I think it has to be connected to a phone line to get the program guide updated. At least that's the way it works with the SD Tivo's I have.

wolfman said:
I think it has to be connected to a phone line to get the program guide updated. At least that's the way it works with the SD Tivo's I have.

Completely UNTRUE, ALL guide info comes over the dish.
Do you maybe have standalone Tivo's that use a phone line???

I stand corrected it's just for updates to the DVR service, and if you want to mirror your subscription to other receivers, and also for sports subscriptions.

Status
Please reply by conversation.