Confused About Dish

KazooGuy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2007
S.W. Michigan
I am a tad confused about Dish and the Hopper system and how they don't seem to want to market to customers who do not have 3 or more HDTVs. This morning I contacted Dish customer service via ONLINE CHAT and asked about the cost to upgrade to a Hopper system. Now I have been dubious of the additional costs a Hopper/Joey would raise my monthly bill, the additional contract is also a bit hard to swallow, but that is just part of the game that needs to be played. However, when the CSR wrote that Dish does not recommend a Hopper system to folks with my setup, only 2 HDTVs and suggested I keep my current system, a 922, I really could not believe what I was reading.

The online CSR actually recommended that I keep my obsolete discontinued receiver and that blew me away.

I would chalk it up more of a CSR thing then anything else, I would recommend going through DIRT for any upgrade questions

Tongue in cheek, but in some ways it's your own fault. You must have by now seen posts about CSR horrors and the standard response. Contact DIRT. They are a tremendous resource we get.

CSR's could have, should have , would have, etc etc... but they don't.

I upgraded thru a CSR to a Hopper WS for one HDTV and was upgraded for no additional cost just the usual two year contract. The installer installed a new three LNB dish and removed my DP44 and installed a Hopper switch. He also gave me a UHF converter that he had on the truck, so I could hook up two other tvs, since the HWS does not have a UHF out.

I am a tad confused about Dish and the Hopper system and how they don't seem to want to market to customers who do not have 3 or more HDTVs. This morning I contacted Dish customer service via ONLINE CHAT and asked about the cost to upgrade to a Hopper system. Now I have been dubious of the additional costs a Hopper/Joey would raise my monthly bill, the additional contract is also a bit hard to swallow, but that is just part of the game that needs to be played. However, when the CSR wrote that Dish does not recommend a Hopper system to folks with my setup, only 2 HDTVs and suggested I keep my current system, a 922, I really could not believe what I was reading.

The online CSR actually recommended that I keep my obsolete discontinued receiver and that blew me away.

Looks like you had a very unhelpful CSR. You can do exactly what you were hoping to do and I think you'll really enjoy it. You already have a 922 so you will be very familiar with all the functions of the Hopper. Going from the 922 to a Hopper and Joey will increase your bill $9 I believe, I think you're only paying $10 for the DVR now. Any time you upgrade equipment you will have to renew a 24 month commitment unless you purchase the equipment.

Instead of going the route you did you should have gone to a good local retailer or at least DIRT on here.

The CSR was not incorrect based on how dish marketed the hopper. It doesn't sound like he denied the HWS, but actually made the recommendation of sticking with he 922. This is a push dish has made. However if you would like the HWS still, all you have to do is tell them that you understand it's not recommended, but you still want it. They will hook you up. And if they don't, then hang up, and call back. Little known secret is one of the grades the phone reps get graded, promoted on, and monthly bonuses, is their repeat call rate within 72 hours. If enough people callback against them, they miss out. So it's a double whammy for you, as you can get what you want, and can help weed out those that are not in the know.

For $2 or $3 dollars more than just a Hopper/Joey set-up would cost & with 2 more tuners added to the 3 tuners of the Hopper,wouldn't it be better to go with a Hopper/HWS & a Super Joey set-up? You could always add a regular or wireless Joey later if you ever get a 3rd HD TV.

Ain't Hopper and Joey's system designed for 4 TV's and under?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

And you can fit six adults in a Honda Accord.

It'll work, but there are better solutions.

Yes, you can put 3 joeys on a Hopper. One of those TVs will have to watch something prerecorded, or the OTA tuner, or the same program someone else is watching.

And you can fit six adults in a Honda Accord.

It'll work, but there are better solutions.

Yes, you can put 3 joeys on a Hopper. One of those TVs will have to watch something prerecorded, or the OTA tuner, or the same program someone else is watching.

And you are making the assumption there is always one person per TV 24/7. On an average, probably two of four HDTVs are probably just "part time".

Again,I'd think if you have 2 TV's & can afford it,going with either 2 Hoppers or 1 Hopper & 1 Super Joey would be the best thing to do. But maybe for some people,3 tuners is enough.

The CSR was not incorrect based on how dish marketed the hopper. It doesn't sound like he denied the HWS, but actually made the recommendation of sticking with he 922. This is a push dish has made. However if you would like the HWS still, all you have to do is tell them that you understand it's not recommended, but you still want it. They will hook you up. And if they don't, then hang up, and call back. Little known secret is one of the grades the phone reps get graded, promoted on, and monthly bonuses, is their repeat call rate within 72 hours. If enough people callback against them, they miss out. So it's a double whammy for you, as you can get what you want, and can help weed out those that are not in the know.

I have a better idea. Elect to take the survey when you call. After the call, you can grade the agent from 1-5, 5 being best, and you get an opportunity to leave a message stating what you liked and didn't like. That is far more effective and direct than just hanging up. Trust me, there is plenty of margin built in for that, people I tend to call "agent shopping". When you leave a message, that agent's manager will listen to the message, and may even call you back.

Ain't Hopper and Joey's system designed for 4 TV's and under?

Not anymore. The introduction of the Super Joey changed Dish's installation protocol concerning number of rooms:

1 - 3 rooms = Hopper/Joey(s) setup.
4 - 5 rooms = Hopper /Super Joey/Joeys setup.
6 rooms = two Hoppers/Joeys setup (no Super Joey).

Now, that's "standard". Dish does give customers the "upgrade option" to have a Super Joey in just a 2 or 3 room setup. I myself just have 2 rooms but I upgraded my regular Joey to a Super Joey and love having those two extra tuners. That way, at the same time, I can use PIP on my Hoppersling, PTAT, and my wife/daughters can also be recording something and watching something different on the Living Room tv. And I'm lucky enough to be in range of all the major OTA signals so I also have a 6th tuner with Dish's OTA module.
Yes, I am a tuner whore.

Last edited:
This conversation was done via ONLINE CHAT and I did not speak to any CSR on the phone. If I did not make the clear in my original post.

Again,I'd think if you have 2 TV's & can afford it,going with either 2 Hoppers or 1 Hopper & 1 Super Joey would be the best thing to do. But maybe for some people,3 tuners is enough.

I only usually have 1 tv on at any given time and there are times I wish I had more than 3 tuners.

Well, I am disappointed with the experience and when the 922 craps out, which it will do because in a years time I have had 6 replacements, I am going to plug in my spare 211K and that will be it. It's modulator works just as well as the 922's for my second television setup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)