Confused about HD 'Distant Networks'

TalonDancer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
After reading several threads here about 'Distant Networks' and trying to use the Dish web site to determine what HD content is available for PBS, ABC, NBC etc, I am more confused than when I began:(

We subscribe to HD Bronze Pac + Locals in the Austin, TX market.
Dish only offers SD versions of the Austin locals.
All of the Austin locals broadcast OTA in HD but we are in a deep valley. So OTA is not an option.

What HD 'distant networks' are available besides CBS HD (e.g. PBS. ABC, NBC, etc)?
Do all HD 'distant networks' require a 2nd dish for 148 or 61.5 like CBS HD?

Thanks in Advance
Talon Dancer

They only offer CBS-HD as a distant. And you should be able to get CBs-hD West because Austin's CBs station is network-owned. You'd need a dish at 148 though cause they 129 version is not programmed for distants to get it

Thanks for the info BFG.

I was afraid that was the case :(

[Ducking for cover]
We already have two, too many satellite antennae (WB and Dish) cluttering up the roof of our cabin:( Surely someone could design better looking antennae when viewed from the rear.
[/Ducking for cover]

FWIW We'd happily double our contribution to the local Austin PBS station KLRU to get PBS in HD via a national feed. Oh well, maybe Dish will add Austin HD locals in 2007.

Thanks again -- Talon Dancer

ah, but you can get pbs-hd national feed if you add another dish to your farm ;)

The feed is fta on k-band, but you'll need an fta card and good pc or an fta hd receiver

BFG said:
They only offer CBS-HD as a distant.?

Is this NY, LA, both, other?

BFG said:
And you should be able to get CBs-hD West because Austin's CBs station is network-owned.?

Also cannot be in Grade B of another CBS station.

BFG said:
You'd need a dish at 148 though cause they 129 version is not programmed for distants to get it?

Do you mean that although the CBS-HD feed is sent from 129 and 148 only true local subs can get it from 129? Why is that?

What do you mean by "both feeds" Could you give the satellite/channel/city/etc. for each? Thanks.

garys said:
When Dish signed contract for the CBS HD feeds, 129 was not in existance. Both feeds have stayed where they were.

The cbs-HD feed, it is channel 9483 from NY on 61.5 or 9484 from LA on 148. Theses two are the only feeds dish has available as distant HD. Sorry if I confused you, I have talked to installers and they refer to a channel as a 'feed' from the station uplinked to the satillite, most take 'feed' as a line to a tuner.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. Now how do these differ from WCBS-DT (6301) and KCBS-DT (6307)?

garys said:
The cbs-HD feed, it is channel 9483 from NY on 61.5 or 9484 from LA on 148. Theses two are the only feeds dish has available as distant HD. Sorry if I confused you, I have talked to installers and they refer to a channel as a 'feed' from the station uplinked to the satillite, most take 'feed' as a line to a tuner.

Ok, is this correct?

KCBS-DT which is the Los Angeles CBS affiliate (OTA Channel 60) is rebroadcast by Dish as

1. Channel 6306 on E*5/to 27 (129 degrees) for Los Angeles DMA LIL purposes (that is if you subscribe to analog LIL you can get the digital counterpart upon request - perhaps free?)

and

2. Channel 9484 on E*1/tp13 (148 degrees) as additional service for those who qualify (no additional cost to those who subscribe to their own LIL service).

WCBS-DT which is the New York CBS affiliate (OTA Channel 56) is rebroadcast by Dish as

1. Channel 6301 on E*12/tp17 (61.5 degrees) for New York DMA LIL purposes

and

2. Channel 9483 on E*12/tp17 (61.5 degrees) as additional service for those who qualify.

Now it seems that New York 1 & 2 are exactly the same transmission just with different channel numbers. Los Angeles is on two different satellites so they must be different "beams."

Question - Why is it necessary/desirable to segregate the LIL beam from the distant service (if that is indeed what is being done)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)