Confused about OTA HD Locals

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Cocophone

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 12, 2004
I'm confused about OTA HD Locals and Dish DVRs.

I stopped by a local dealer and was told that the Dish DVR 722 does NOT record the OTA HD Locals.

Is this true?

I thought I could use the DVR 722 to record OTA HD Locals.

If the 722 does record the OTA HD Locals, do you select the OTA local program to record from the onscreen guide just like any other program received by the satellite dish? Or do I need to set manual timers for OTA programs?

Yes, the 722 does record OTA digital channel programs.

But, if you don't sub to the Dish locals package for $6.99/month, you have to set manual timers, cuz the EPG won't have program info for OTA digital channels.

I record HD OTA on both my ViP722 units. I just set start and end times, just like I did with VCRs. I made one schedule for ER & for DH, set to weekly, and forgot about it. Just watch from the DVR & skip thru commercials.

One nice thing about the "skip" button: I think we have much better, and more entertaining, commercials now. I'll actually stop to watch one now and then.

Dealers and CSRs can both be clueless. They tend to NOT be subscribers, and if they are, they sure don't seem to do much with their equipment.

But, if you don't sub to the Dish locals package for $6.99/month, you have to set manual timers, cuz the EPG won't have program info for OTA digital channels.

You mean $5.99 alone and $5.00 for locals added to any top programming pack: 100/200/250/AEP or dvr advantage on top 100/200/250. Please don't give Charlie any ideas on hiking the locals price..:p

The 722 definitely work with an OTA antenna. I had it setup that way just 2 weeks ago. The $5 you pay for local channels (you still need to do this) pays for the 722 to receive EPG data. The 722 will merge the EPG data with the OTA channels.

With all things in life, their are tradeoffs:

If you have Dish provide the local channels:
--You'll need a 2nd dish on our roof (I did)
--Not all locals may be available in HD (CBS was not in my area)

If you use OTA:
--You get great quality and all available channels in SD and HD
--BUT you can only watch/record one local channel since their is only one OTA input on the 722 and it is not split and sent into two tuners. This isn't too big of an issue since most prime time shows are available via Internet now.

Hope this helps.

Scott

I added DVR Advantage plus locals for @ $1.40/month. It would have been $5.99 w/o DVR Advan. Worth every penny @ $1.40!!!

I added DVR Advantage plus locals for @ $1.40/month. It would have been $5.99 w/o DVR Advan. Worth every penny @ $1.40!!!
DVR Advantage includes locals and one DVR fee. Where are you getting the $1.40?

I have bronze ($24.99/mo) + HD locals ($5/mo) + DVR Advantage ($5/mo)

Makes my monthly bill $34.99 which seems very fair to me considering all the channels I get + HD locals (Nashville market).

Considering the programming guide alone is between $15 & $20/mo w/ TiVO, I can't imagine how they are still selling their product independantly.

Tivo guide cost between $8 to $13 monthly or $300 or $400 for lifetime service.

Cox charges ~$28 for an HD DVR locally, so even if you go with the most expensive $13 option a Tivo is cheaper in the long run.

Tivo guide cost between $8 to $13 monthly or $300 or $400 for lifetime service.

Cox charges ~$28 for an HD DVR locally, so even if you go with the most expensive $13 option a Tivo is cheaper in the long run.

I stand corrected. I could have SWORN I was on TIVO's site about a year ago and they had:

a. discontinued the lifetime option
b. had ridiculous monthly rates of like $18/mo unless you paid yearly; then it dropped to $12/mo or so

I just looked again and either I made up those numbers above or they're modified their price plans.

TiVo had discontinued the lifetime option a year ago because all of their receivers at that time were obsolete (lacking ATSC tuners). Now that they have come out with the new generation and many prospective customers complained bitterly, they have reinstated it at $399.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)