Confused what receiver can be used for todays C- Band use.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have one more question.
If I get a c-band dish and I decide to get a LNB for K and C band, would it be better to have a solid dish or would a perforated dish ( the one with the tiny holes in the reflector) be ok?

A perforated with small holes will work well for Ku. Some solid fiberglass BUD's may not work that well on Ku. It all depends on the coverage of the reflective material that's embedded. Some dishes produced back in the day skimped on reflector material as most interest was C band. So, in a nutshell, there's no question, which one will work. You may be able to see the reflective material using a strong light shining thru the fiberglass. If I remember right one member posted some pictures using this technique a while back.

Oops. No dish yet.

The bet way to do that is to remember that, of the last 200 big dishes you have seen, only a small fraction of those are working.

You go around looking for big dishes (solid, spun aluminum is the best, but small hole mesh is OK) where a little dish is mounted on the same property. Generally that means they have given up on the big dish and may just give it away. I got an eight foot solid that way, and I got a Birdview 8.5 dish that way. Both free.

Get whatever pole it's mounted on too. I am not one who advocates digging it up out of the ground. Just cut it off at the ground with a circular saw and black cutting blade.Fast. Easy. When you decide or actually get it, take pictures of the dish, especially of the mechanical workings on the back. Post them and the guys who know more than me will tell you exactly what it is and how to do it.

Thank you everyone for the ton of information you gave me. It looks like, I have a very good starting point now only because all of you helping me.
I am so grateful to be here and for your help.
Thank you all
.....Johann....

In the meantime, I keep on reading and researching...........

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)