Confused

CubFan

Original poster
Jun 8, 2004
W. Dundee, IL
I am currently a Dish Network Customer w/ a standard reciever & dish. Under my current programing I recieve local channels as well. I have purchased a HD ready TV and want to upgrade my Dish to HDTV. I called DN and they told me that I can rent the reciever for $5/month and have HDTV programing for an additiona $5/month for the first year. But they said that I could no longer recieve my local channels through the dish, I would have to install my own antenna to recieve these channels. I could add a second dish to recieve CBS in HDTV if I wanted too at no additional charge. Summary, If I want to upgrade to HDTV I will need to have two dish's and an antenna on my roof versus my currently set up of one dish and I get both dish channels along with all local channels. Is this true or did I talk to someone that doesn't know what there're talking about. It seems like a lot of equipment would be require if I want to up grade to HDTV. Frankly, I don't think my wife could handle the complicated set up in addition to the extra cost of adding an attenna to our roof and a second dish. Please help.

Well, as to the 'you can no longer receive local channels through dish' that isn't true.

What they were trying to say is if you want LOCAL DIGITAL AND/OR LOCAL HD you would have to get those through an indoor/outdoor antenna hooked up to the 811.

Depending on where you live you could get all of your locals digitally without needing the extra sat dish to get CBS.

On the 811, your guide would show DISH LOCALS with a xx-0 listing, and your local digitals would show up as xx-1, xx-2 (upto however many channels each one is multicasting).

All your other boxes would still get locals from Dish as they do now.

I'm confuesed, I'm in the same boat here...

I just did the swap for an 811 for one of my 301's (811 hasnt arrived yet) and I was under the impression that I would continue to get everything the same as I do now, with the addition of the HD channels on the set with the 811...is this not correct? I currently receive AT60 and locals (DC area NBC, CBS, FOX, etc) on both of my 301's. When I swap out my existing 301 w/ an 811 am I going to lose the ability to receive those locals on that set with my existing setup. I do not plan to add any additional dishes and I am not in the range to receive the OTA locals. Someone please clarify this for me. I am still on the old DHP plan that requires me to pay $25 for AT60 and $5 for locals. I do not want to be paying for them if I can only receive them on 1 set. I appreciate any help in clarifying this.

McBride

asmcbride said:
I just did the swap for an 811 for one of my 301's (811 hasnt arrived yet) and I was under the impression that I would continue to get everything the same as I do now, with the addition of the HD channels on the set with the 811...is this not correct?

Yes, that is correct.

asmcbride said:
I do not want to be paying for them if I can only receive them on 1 set. I appreciate any help in clarifying this. McBride

Not to worry. As Kydave stated above, you will still get your locals but not in HD on the 811. You will get the HD Channels (HD Package) only on the 811, the 301 will not get them and your locals will be on both receivers. If you get HBO or Showtime, you will get them in HD also.

Since you are not able to get your locals via an antenna, you should look into getting CBSHD if you qualify.

Cbs?

My CBS feed is from DC...Can I get it? I have to get the NY feed correct? If I am entitled to get it and I can, then I would definetely be interested...Will this incur the waiver and all that BS that I've read about from time to time, or will it just be a simple process...thanks.

asmcbride said:
My CBS feed is from DC...Can I get it? I have to get the NY feed correct? If I am entitled to get it and I can, then I would definetely be interested...Will this incur the waiver and all that BS that I've read about from time to time, or will it just be a simple process...thanks.

I assume you are talking about the CBS HD feed?

If so, this is from their website:

You must live in one of the 17 market areas served by stations owned and operated by the CBS corporation. Owned and operated stations are commonly referred to as O&O stations. (O&O stations serve only 35% of the country. Hence, most areas in the country are served by stations which carry CBS programming, but are owned by independent companies. These are known as affiliates.)

The 17 markets served by CBS O&O stations are: Austin, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Los Angeles, Marquette, Miami, Minneapolis, New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, and Green Bay.

DC is not on their list, so I am going to guess NO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts