Confusion on upgrade to 722

Drago

Original poster
Mar 25, 2004
I am an Embarq bundled customer and own (purchased) an 811, 508 and 311 receiver. I've been an Embarq/Dish customer for a little over 4 yrs. I called about a problem on the 311 yesterday and inquired about upgrading. I was told I could replace my 811 and 508 with a 722 for $125 with a 24-month commitment. The commitment kind of surprised me but I was more confused by the fees.

Right now, I don't pay a DVR fee for the 508. Since the 722 is dual tuner DVR would I pay *two* DVR fees? Would I still pay additional receiver fees based on three (722 counts as two and the 311) receivers? In addition, do we pay a lease fee for 24 months on top of the $125?

I realize my cost/committment requirements may be different than the next person's but what is the norm? Is there a norm? And is my understanding of the fees correct? Also, if I decided not to upgrade will I eventually be forced to upgrade with MPEG2 to MPEG4?

Sorry about all the questions. Thanks for any info/insight.

I am an Embarq bundled customer and own (purchased) an 811, 508 and 311 receiver. I've been an Embarq/Dish customer for a little over 4 yrs. I called about a problem on the 311 yesterday and inquired about upgrading. I was told I could replace my 811 and 508 with a 722 for $125 with a 24-month commitment. The commitment kind of surprised me but I was more confused by the fees.

Right now, I don't pay a DVR fee for the 508. Since the 722 is dual tuner DVR would I pay *two* DVR fees? Would I still pay additional receiver fees based on three (722 counts as two and the 311) receivers? In addition, do we pay a lease fee for 24 months on top of the $125?

I realize my cost/committment requirements may be different than the next person's but what is the norm? Is there a norm? And is my understanding of the fees correct? Also, if I decided not to upgrade will I eventually be forced to upgrade with MPEG2 to MPEG4?

The reason you don't have a DVR Fee on the 508 is that model was grandfathered to not include DVR Fees. The 722 does have the DVR Fee, but it is only one DVR fee, even though it is a Dual Tuner model. The DVR fee is per Set Top Box, NOT per tuner. Additionally, if you get the 722 and hook up an OTA Antenna you will gain a third tuner (one specifically for recording OTA, didn't know if you were aware of this).

As for the $125 fee and lease fee, I believe you will have a lease fee in addition to the upgrade fee. I also believe the Lease fee is for as long as you have the box. When we were looking at upgrading, we figured out that the lease would have to go for something like 100 months in order for us to recoup the cost of buying it outright and we don't believe that the box would last that long so that is why we sprung for the lease.

My understanding of your fees are as follows:

$125 = Upgrade fee (we were charged like $149 when we upgraded)
$5.98 = DVR fee (If you get DVR Advantage one DVR fee is waived)
= Lease fee (Not sure of cost, but it continues indefinitely)
$5.00 = Phone line fee (Fee waived if you connect the 722 to a phone line)

Eventually, it is believed that everything will go to MPEG4, but no one knows when it will happen, so at this point you don't have to upgrade, but eventually, you will probably have to upgrade to MPEG4, but it could be a very long time.

Geoff

24 months is the new norm commitment fee. I believe you can avoid it by paying an additional $60 installation fee. You only pay one DVR fee with the 722. If you subscribe to one of the DVR advantage packages, one DVR fee is included. Yes, you will have to upgrade. Yes, you will pay a monthly lease fee.

Hello Drago,

This is a message from Lamont with Embarq Customer Support. I see you had some questions on upgrading one of you dish network receivers. I wanted to give you some general information on cost you may see. Please keep in mind these fees can vary based on your account. The upgrade fee of $125 with a 24-month commitment is correct. You would pay a receiver fee based on the number of set top boxes that you have. You may be required to pay a lease fee as well. The MPEG4 standard will provide additional HD channels available to your service, but is not currently a requirement for service. If you get DVR Advantage one DVR fee can be waived. There is a $5 phone line fee that may be waived if the 722 is connected to a phone line. Unfortunately, you cannot avoid commitment fee, the fee can only be removed for new customers that pay a $49.99 installation fee. Again, you will need to contact one of our solutions support representatives at 1-888-723-8010 to get your exact fees and available products as the above charges may vary. I hope this information is helpful and thank you for giving us the opportunity to help you.

Lamont L.
Embarq Customer Support
SMNP.Lamont.l@embarq.com
For additional support please visit www.embarq.com/support or call 1-877-646-3282
Voice | Data | Internet | Wireless | Entertainment

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts