Connect cable tv to VIP 722?

Bruuce

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 8, 2008
Austin, TX
This might sound like a stupid question, but I figured I might as well ask. If you have cable TV and the HD only package from Dish, can you connect the cable to the VIP 722 via the OTA antenna coaxial?

Nope. Cable uses QAM, which is different from OTA broadcasts, and Dish receivers do not work with QAM.

I figured as much. Thanks for responding.

Why not connect your cable TV cable directly to your TV? scan the channels. now watch the dish on your HDMI input and the Cable TV on your cable input.

holy picture in picture options batman!

Why not connect your cable TV cable directly to your TV? scan the channels. now watch the dish on your HDMI input and the Cable TV on your cable input.

holy picture in picture options batman!

I wanted to DVR a show last night.

That's wrong. Anything on the coaxial input that you can tune you can record.

BuddyBoy is right. You can run cable through your receiver. I an running Comcast basic cable through my receiver right now. My Dish Network tech plugged the cable into my receiver last month when I was getting my dish set up. I had to keep basic cable to get my price break on cable internet so I had the tech plug the cable into the receiver. All works well.

That's wrong. Anything on the coaxial input that you can tune you can record.

Dish's HD receivers do not have pass through, it goes to an OTA tuner and the digital signals can be added to the guide and used to record to their dvr. The analog signals and qam signals (cable is qam) are not supported by this tuner and will not work. Dish's sd receivers do have pass through and when the receiver is off, analog and cable signals will pass through and can be recorded by dvd recorder or vcr, but not by Dish's dvr.

BuddyBoy is right. You can run cable through your receiver. I an running Comcast basic cable through my receiver right now. My Dish Network tech plugged the cable into my receiver last month when I was getting my dish set up. I had to keep basic cable to get my price break on cable internet so I had the tech plug the cable into the receiver. All works well.

This works on Dish receivers that pass the signal through when the receiver is not turned on. Dish's HD receivers do not allow pass through signals.

RE: Solution

I have a solution for ya. Go and buy an RF Modulator. You can connect the RCA, red-yellow-white, cable into it, and then you can run a coax cable from the modulator into your TV. Or, if your TV has the RCA jacks, you can go straight from the receiver into the TV with those...BUT BE WARNED, it will not be in high def quality. Coax cannot effectively transmit HD signal at is full potential. We ran into this a lot, when Dish ran out of 625s. People got 722s in their place, and most did not even have a high def TV.

I have a solution for ya. Go and buy an RF Modulator. You can connect the RCA, red-yellow-white, cable into it, and then you can run a coax cable from the modulator into your TV. Or, if your TV has the RCA jacks, you can go straight from the receiver into the TV with those...BUT BE WARNED, it will not be in high def quality. Coax cannot effectively transmit HD signal at is full potential. We ran into this a lot, when Dish ran out of 625s. People got 722s in their place, and most did not even have a high def TV.

Hmm, I'll take a look into this. Thanks. :)

Any particular brand/model you recommend?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts