Connected and not connected?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mangler88

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
Nc
I just hooked up my system to a basic little dish and I'm randomly not getting all of my channels. A lot of my channels work but also a bunch of them say searching for satellite signal. This doesn't make sense because I can just go to te next channel and it will be fine. Does anyone know why this is doing this?

Thanks,
austin

You set up a basic dish, which one ?
IF it's hitting only one sat, thats why your not getting the rest of your channels.

The reason you'll get one and not the next is due to the fact that channels are scattered across 3-5 sats depending on a lot of variables.

ok sorry here we go. I have one HD receiver and 2 standard definition receivers.
the dish that i am using is just a normal dish with one little node on the LNB. I i know i cannot get HD channels with this one I am working on getting that set up.

This is how my setup works:
I have the dish hooked into a ground block

I have two lines from the upstairs plugged into the ground block

I have a downstairs line hooked into the ground block that is a little shorter than the other two upstairs lines.

Heres where i get confused:
When i check my transponder strength i can get all of the channels downstairs and the transponder strength is significantly higher than the upstairs.....the upstairs rates are filled with 0s and there is only one 0 downstairs with mostly 90s +

Also another question, If i have this regular dish setup and im getting signal can i just buy a LNB that has HD capability and put it onto the dish that is already set up?

Thanks for the help

I count 3 or possibly lines (if a HD receiver 1 line, DVR 2, 1 from each SD receiver)
Do you have a multiswitch involved? You should with that setup

Here is what I mean (yes I know it shows FTA receivers but they work the same for Directv)

Attachments

• Multiswitch_4x4_example.JPG
    Multiswitch_4x4_example.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 132
ok sorry here we go. I have one HD receiver and 2 standard definition receivers.
the dish that i am using is just a normal dish with one little node on the LNB. I i know i cannot get HD channels with this one I am working on getting that set up.

This is how my setup works:
I have the dish hooked into a ground block

I have two lines from the upstairs plugged into the ground block

I have a downstairs line hooked into the ground block that is a little shorter than the other two upstairs lines.

Heres where i get confused:
When i check my transponder strength i can get all of the channels downstairs and the transponder strength is significantly higher than the upstairs.....the upstairs rates are filled with 0s and there is only one 0 downstairs with mostly 90s +

Also another question, If i have this regular dish setup and im getting signal can i just buy a LNB that has HD capability and put it onto the dish that is already set up?

Thanks for the help

IF, you have the original single LNB set up like it sounds like you do, you only have 1 line coming from the dish to the ground block, so this set up can only be used for 1 recvr. Thus your not getting signal upstairs.

As far as putting a HD LNB on the old set up, first , it won't fit, second, if your gonna go up there to change it out, you really should change the dish to one that can accomadate all that your doing.

You can get into a Slimline and be ready for the HD when your ready.
The Slimline (1 version) would have a LNB that would handle all of your recvrs.
You would want to run all 4 lines down from the dish to the ground block and run one cable from the rooms to each of the connectors on the ground block.

Ok so I'm going to need a block with 4 inputs that goes to 4 outputs?...........I'll get a new dish soon then

Ok so I'm going to need a block with 4 inputs that goes to 4 outputs?...........I'll get a new dish soon then

That depends, you can go the route Iceberg showed, or go the new dish route, overall your better to go with the newer dish for future use.

the setup that iceberg showed is the one that i have now that isnt working. Do i need a boost or something?

I think i do it's the same switch setup that he had shown there.
I've got another question, if I get a satellite dish that has the better LNB but with one line (swm I think) could I just switch the cable into the dish from the block and viola satellite or do I need to go ahead and buy a 4x4 splitter a dish with 4 outputs and more cable line? Which one of these would be the most simple to set up?

I think i do it's the same switch setup that he had shown there.
I've got another question, if I get a satellite dish that has the better LNB but with one line (swm I think) could I just switch the cable into the dish from the block and viola satellite or do I need to go ahead and buy a 4x4 splitter a dish with 4 outputs and more cable line? Which one of these would be the most simple to set up?

It depends on what you decide to do, If you do the SWM , it requires a Power inserter and a special SWM splitter as well.

If you go with the newer dish (Slimline), if you go over 4 tuners you'll want a WB68 Multi switch, that style is the only one that will work correctly for that set up.

A4x4 splitter will not work with the SWM set up, you'll need the SWM splitter.

Ok I think I'm going to buy a 4 line setup and a 4x4 splitter and some more coax. Thanks a bunch for everyonea help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts