Connecting 722k to home network

ajm80031

Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Denver
I just got a 722k put in and the installer used a SlingLink Turbo W1 to connect the DVR to my home network over the house wiring. When streaming video from the DVR I'm finding I get issues if I try to use the higher bandwidth settings -- if I try "HD" streaming to my computer things fall apart. So I'm thinking it might be worth the effort to run some cat5e cable and directly connect the 722 to my network.

I'd like to test out the speed of the current connection first to make sure that's really the problem. DISH sent me an email with a URL that's supposed to test the speed but that never works for me -- it just sits there trying to load the page but never completes no matter how long I give it. Is there any other way I can test the connection?

If I do run wire, the next question is what ethernet speed I need to support. If the 722 maxes out at 100Mb/S then I've got what I need on hand; if it supports gigabit I'll need to buy a new switch. I can't find specs for the 722 to tell me what ethernet speeds it supports. Anyone here know?

I just got a 722k put in and the installer used a SlingLink Turbo W1 to connect the DVR to my home network over the house wiring. When streaming video from the DVR I'm finding I get issues if I try to use the higher bandwidth settings -- if I try "HD" streaming to my computer things fall apart. So I'm thinking it might be worth the effort to run some cat5e cable and directly connect the 722 to my network.

I'd like to test out the speed of the current connection first to make sure that's really the problem. DISH sent me an email with a URL that's supposed to test the speed but that never works for me -- it just sits there trying to load the page but never completes no matter how long I give it. Is there any other way I can test the connection?

If I do run wire, the next question is what ethernet speed I need to support. If the 722 maxes out at 100Mb/S then I've got what I need on hand; if it supports gigabit I'll need to buy a new switch. I can't find specs for the 722 to tell me what ethernet speeds it supports. Anyone here know?

10/100 is all you need.

I installed an OnQ box and put my modem/router in it. Hard wired it to my living room to a switch to run computer, receiver, and xbox 360. It has been working great

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)