Connecting cable to a 322 dual tuner

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

c_frank2

Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
Florida
I was just helping a friend setup his new dish receiver and had a question about connecting cable to the dish receiver. He just changed his programming and got rid of the DVR service so dish mailed out a dual tuner to swap for the dvr receiver. He does not like the locals that dish has to offer because they are not really local so he signed up for basic cable service to get locals. I have seen the coax connection on the back of the receiver for "antenna/cable in" before and was wondering if it's as simple as connecting the cable service to the receiver or if some settings had to be changed on the receiver? The book that came with the receiver is not very clear about that, It just tells how to connect the cable.

Thanks for any help.

Yeah, I'm not sure but you can try. Connect the cable to the antenna port, go to menu > system setup > then find the Local Channels and select it. In there you can "scan" for channels and see if it picks up the cable channel. I'm curious if this works, so please post your results.

The 322 does not have a OTA/Cable tuner built in the cable input on the back of the receive serves only as an A/B switch. Shut off the 322 and it passes the cable signal over the cable connected to the TV, you then use the TV's tuner to select the cable channel you watch.

Okay, what I have done is connected both the satellite receiver output and the standard cable service directly into the tv. I have noticed that on other tv's in the house that are only connected to cable are getting satellite signal bleeding over into channel 3. What should I add to my setup to keep satellite signals from being sent over the cable line? Would a super home node such as the shn-24 by eagle aspen allow me to combine satellite receiver output with cable service?

Last edited:
There is nothing but the one coax connection. The receiver's tv1 output is going through a vcr and the receiver is set to channel 3 output.

Connect the cable line to the back of the satellite receiver. When you want to watch cable on that TV just shut off the receiver, the A/B switch will prevent ch3 from feeding into the cable line.

If possible, I would rather be able to have both at the same time. If i understand correctly, the super home node will do that, right?

If possible, I would rather be able to have both at the same time. If i understand correctly, the super home node will do that, right?
To some extent, yes. It can be a complete pita to install and impossible if you have cable broadband since the frequencies are too close to Dish's.

That won't be a problem, there are a few empty channels I can use. What other problems could I end up with besides finding an empty channel?

That won't be a problem, there are a few empty channels I can use. What other problems could I end up with besides finding an empty channel?
As long as you can change your TV to a clean channel the most might be a slight picture quality reduction, but it is going to be SD anyway.

Oh and if the connections are outside use compression fittings and not crimp or twist-on ones. Those are just asking for corrosion.

The 322 does not have a OTA/Cable tuner built in the cable input on the back of the receive serves only as an A/B switch. Shut off the 322 and it passes the cable signal over the cable connected to the TV, you then use the TV's tuner to select the cable channel you watch.

Per the above, does the 322 also send the OTA/Cable signal to its Home Distribution output? Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)