Connecting DirecTv On Demand

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

satfrat

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Cutting Edge
Aug 12, 2005
Rutland, Vermont
I'm going to need some help on this as I'm not all that computer savee. First, I have Verizon DSL with a Westell 2200 modem with only 1 Ethernet. Both my HTPC and HR20-100 are located w/i a foot from this modem. What do I do?

If you have some advise,,, please keep it super simple or it'll be a waste of time for you to tell me. :what :) Thanks!

Cheers,
Robin

You need a router. Simple image of a router setup. You can hardwire more than the image shows; its just a simple example.

Attachments

• DIR-655_diagram.jpg
    DIR-655_diagram.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,302
OK this is what I have, the Westell 2200 is a modem/router. The how to's and why's I haven't figured out yet.

But from Detailed information for the BellSouth 2100/2200/6100 Westell modems. AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ - dslreports.com , I have this:

Bridged Ethernet Mode (no separate router present)
Must use a PPPoE client on the PC. Clients such as the BellSouth Connection Agent, RasPPPoE, and the native PPPoE client on Windows XP are available.
Username and Password required on PC through the PPPoE client interface. Username and password on the modem will be disabled when you select "bridged ethernet" connection and save the settings.
NIC should be set to "Obtain IP Address Automatically".
WAN IP address will be on the PC NIC. This is one of two ways to assign the WAN IP directly to the NIC; with the other method being "IP Passthrough" without a router.
Requires changes to the modem configuration. Must enter Expert Mode, click on the Configuration button and then click on the Connections button. Enable "bridged ethernet" mode from the Protocol pulldown. Connection Screen Shot.

Why is there 2 ethernet connections on the HR20-100 but we're always told touse the top one? I waswondering why I couldn't just connect the modem to the HR20 and then use the bottom ethernet to connect my HTPC. I'm willing to bet it won't be as simple as that, hea? :)

Cheers,
Robin

If your modem/router has ports on the back, just hook the HR20 to the router. If not, get a SWITCH, they're around $20-30. Plug that in to the router, then plug the computer, HR20, etc into the switch.

OK this is what I have, the Westell 2200 is a modem/router. The how to's and why's I haven't figured out yet.
Why is there 2 ethernet connections on the HR20-100 but we're always told touse the top one? I waswondering why I couldn't just connect the modem to the HR20 and then use the bottom ethernet to connect my HTPC. I'm willing to bet it won't be as simple as that, hea? :)

Cheers,
Robin

The Westell 2200 is a dsl modem + router without a built-in Ethernet switch. The piece of the puzzle that you are missing is the switch. Run down to the computer retailer of your choice and pick one up (they run about $25 to $50 depending on the number of ports and 100Mbps vs. 1000Mbps). Plug the output of the Westell into one of the ports on the switch. Plug the Ethernet port on your HTPC into one of the ports on the switch. Plug the top Ethernet port into one of the ports on the switch. Done.

I'm going to need some help on this as I'm not all that computer savee. First, I have Verizon DSL with a Westell 2200 modem with only 1 Ethernet. Both my HTPC and HR20-100 are located w/i a foot from this modem. What do I do?

If you have some advise,,, please keep it super simple or it'll be a waste of time for you to tell me. :what :) Thanks!

Cheers,
Robin

Call Verizon and ask for a westell 327w.

The Westell 2200 is a dsl modem + router without a built-in Ethernet switch. The piece of the puzzle that you are missing is the switch. Run down to the computer retailer of your choice and pick one up (they run about $25 to $50 depending on the number of ports and 100Mbps vs. 1000Mbps). Plug the output of the Westell into one of the ports on the switch. Plug the Ethernet port on your HTPC into one of the ports on the switch. Plug the top Ethernet port into one of the ports on the switch. Done.

Now if that's all that's needed w/o doing any computer stuff, then that's too cool. But it also sounds too easy. Calling Verison sounds like a good idea also. Thanks for the imput.

Cheers,
Robin

Call Verizon and ask for a westell 327w.

This sounded like a good idea til I Googled Westell 327w and saw all the headaches that computer literates like myself are having plus the fact that I don't need to go wireless and don't want to if I don't have to. I don't mind cables for this receiver hookup. I think I'll look into this Ethernet switch idea and call Verison to see what else, if anything, I'll need to do to install this switch into the Westell. Thanks for your imput.

Cheers,
Robin

Now if that's all that's needed w/o doing any computer stuff, then that's too cool. But it also sounds too easy. Calling Verison sounds like a good idea also. Thanks for the imput.

Cheers,
Robin

Verizon should tell you the same.

I bought a $27 Netgear 5 port 100mbps switcher off Amazon with free shipping and a $15 rebate. I also got 2 Cat6 cables for $2.89, 1'/3' length. It's suppose to be a plug & play. Thanks guys for the helpful advise. :up

Cheers,
Robin

Just to update, I have the Netgear switcher connected and both my HTPC and HR20-100 are connected with no problem. I did a system test to be assured of a successful connection

OK, now what?? I went to On Demand in my menu and nothing happens. I went to ch. 1000 and there is no channel. So what do i need to do next? Thanks for all the help to date. :up

Cheers,
Robin

If during the network setup on the HR20 you get "connected" to the internet, then you are all set. It may take a while for DirecTV to recognize that your unit is connected before the On Demand features start working.

If during the network setup on the HR20 you get "connected" to the internet, then you are all set. It may take a while for DirecTV to recognize that your unit is connected before the On Demand features start working.

So I guess I've done everything correctly and it's up to them to finalize the connection,,,, kewl! :cool: This was all too simple,,,once I got a helping hand that is. :hatsoff:

Cheers,
Robin

So I guess I've done everything correctly and it's up to them to finalize the connection,,,, kewl! :cool: This was all too simple,,,once I got a helping hand that is. :hatsoff:

Cheers,
Robin

If you ran the network setup on your receiver, then all you have to do is wait. I think it only took me a day before my HR20 was showing VOD available.

Got it! :D On Demand Beta is alive and well, for about $14 dollars for a Netgear switcher w/ $15 rebate and two Cat 6 cords. It was a simple plug n' play.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts