Connecting Hopper or Joey to Windows Media Center

ddodson

Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
Texas
I tried finding something on this in the forum but was unable to, so, please excuse me if this has been asked before. My question is this: Is it possible to connect a Windows Media Center to either a Hopper or Joey? My setup is pretty simple: 1) Hopper connected to one HDTV, 2) one Joey connected to one HDTV, and 3) Desktop PC with Windows Media Center (Windows 7).

I am asking because the wife and I are fixing to be moving to another apartment complex, and my office will not be in close proximity to a tv, so I would like to be able to connect my Media Center to one of these, if possible.

Thanking you in advance!

The short answer is Slinging (this assumes that all you want to do is watch the content).

In the world of HDCP that we live in, WMC is of decidedly limited value.

It seems very unlikely that DISH will offer client software for conventional computers.

I'm actually only wanting to watch something on my PC maybe 5-6 times a year, so slinging, at least in my opinion, is not worth the money

I'm actually only wanting to watch something on my PC maybe 5-6 times a year, so slinging, at least in my opinion, is not worth the money

What are they going for now, $30? $50?
+1

You'd seriously rather buy an HD video capture card for a couple of hundred bucks, run an IR blaster to your Hopper/Joey, and run video cables to your PC versus plugging in a $30 device that requires no effort whatsoever to install and use plus gives you full DVR management and access to all live and recorded shows without taking over the primary tuner? I don't understand your logic at all.

EDIT: A new sling adapter is $50, but used ones are much less. I just sold mine for $30. A Black Magic capture card, on the other hand, is close to $300 and takes over your main tuner, so the person watching in the living room has to watch the same thing you're watching in the office. Not a good solution IMO, unless you were trying to replace your DVR entirely with WMC.

You will see a tab on windows media player called 'streaming', select 'automaticaly allow devices to play my media' then choose 'more streaming options' then select 'local network' and 'allow all'
That's the opposite of what the OP wants to do. He wants to watch satellite TV in media center, not stream his media files to his Hopper/Joey.

That's the opposite of what the OP wants to do. He wants to watch satellite TV in media center, not stream his media files to his Hopper/Joey.
You are correct.

If there is something that only costs me $30-$50 I would buy it, but from what I'm looking at, a slingbox starts at $150. Again, I rarely will use this as al I would want to do is watch an occasional 'major sporting event', or something similar.

I'm thinking the 'sling adapter' will suffice that Dish offers but since I have an appointment set up, I cannot see what this costs. Any ideas?

You don't need to buy an actual Slingbox. Purchase the Sling Adapter. It's a product specifically made for streaming content from Dish receivers. You purchase it directly from Dish, through a retailer, or pick up a used one on eBay. As previous posters mentioned, they are $50 new, cheaper on eBay, Amazon, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)