Connecting hopper to wireless internet - with a twist

n2audio

Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
United States
I have a new Dish setup. Just installed yesterday.
Currently I have ATT wireless internet. The hopper is wired to the gateway.
I'm planning to discontinue att internet and use my 4g android phone, which is wifi tether capable, as my sole internet connection.

Dishnet's online tech support (live chat) said I can use the netgear USB wireless adapter to connect to a standard wifi network, but that it won't work with a phone.
Is that true?
Is there a work around?

I'm aware of the data usage situation.
We rarely, if ever, stream movies. It would be an exception to do so. I would use it mainly for DN software updates.
I also have a windows phone that I'm hoping will include tethering in an upcoming software update. There have been rumors about it since March or so. That one is only 2Gb, but would probably upgrade to 5g if it ever offers tethering.
The phone that would be used has 5gb.
I can easily monitor network usage. If 5-7g doesn't cut it we'll have to go another route.

I'm aware of the data usage situation.
We rarely, if ever, stream movies. It would be an exception to do so. I would use it mainly for DN software updates.
I also have a windows phone that I'm hoping will include tethering in an upcoming software update. There have been rumors about it since March or so. That one is only 2Gb, but would probably upgrade to 5g if it ever offers tethering.
The phone that would be used has 5gb.
I can easily monitor network usage. If 5-7g doesn't cut it we'll have to go another route.

Software updates are through the satellite. If you plan on using less than 5 Gigs, don't even bother hooking your DISH Network equipment to the internet through your phones connection

Updates come down from the sat, an internet connection is not needed. If you don't stream from Dish, and none of the apps appeal to you, you can probably go without a connection.