Connecting the phone line

Mahaffey

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Tennessee
I have a DVR 625 reciever and at the time of install I did not have a phone jack to connect to the box. I will have this fixed by Friday.

I was told that I would have 15 days to get this done and after that I would be charged the $5.00/month fee. I checked my bill online and the charge is already showing.

My other question is, when I get the phone jack fixed, how exactly do I connect the line? Do I turn off the reciever first, or just plug n play, so to speak :)

Thanks,
Robin

UPON ACTIVATION, if a phone bypass is added on the system, there will be a $5 charge per dual tuner for the first month. Even if you have a phone line connected and test it using Smith's method, if the system is ACTIVATED with a PHONE BYPASS, then you will get the $5 charge.

The opposite is also true.

UPON ACTIVATION, if a phone bypass is added on the system, there will be a $5 charge per dual tuner for the first month. Even if you have a phone line connected and test it using Smith's method, if the system is ACTIVATED with a PHONE BYPASS, then you will get the $5 charge.

The opposite is also true.
What is a phone bypass? I emailed tech support for Dish and they said to just plug the phone line in and call the Dish office for the connectivity test.

When a new dual tuner reciever is installed out of the box, the second TV will always require a phone line connected before showing a picture. There is only one way around this, and that is to request a special activation code from Dishnetwork to be sent out to the reciever. The CSR's I talked to referred to it as a 'phone bypass' on the account. It really only affects the installation/setup of the reciever.

When a new dual tuner reciever is installed out of the box, the second TV will always require a phone line connected before showing a picture. There is only one way around this, and that is to request a special activation code from Dishnetwork to be sent out to the reciever. The CSR's I talked to referred to it as a 'phone bypass' on the account. It really only affects the installation/setup of the reciever.
Ok so when I get this phone line connected, it will be to the TV1. TV2 does not have the reciever. I will have to call and get them to send another signal to TV2 to accept this second code?

I do remember they had trouble getting my son's TV to get a signal. I don't remember what they did to make it work, but it works fine now.

"...When a new dual tuner receiver is installed out of the box, the second TV will always require a phone line connected before showing a picture. ..."

This something new? It's never worked that way for me before.

"...When a new dual tuner receiver is installed out of the box, the second TV will always require a phone line connected before showing a picture. ..."

This something new? It's never worked that way for me before.

See? I thought that the second TV was the one that didn't have the box. Usually, and I am new so don't quote me, the way I thought it worked was TV1 had the reciever on it and TV2 only had the cord running to the back of it. That's the point behind the "dual tuner", right?

Again, I am new at this so don't shoot me...:eek:

I think he means that before the second tuner will work, whether for the second TV or just with the first TV, you must plug the phone line in to the Dish box or only the first tuner will work.

It doesn't work that way. At least, it hasn't in my experience. My ViP622 was working fine before I got the phone line run to it in my new house. Same for the 721. In fact, they must test the system before leaving after an installation and checking that the second tuner is coming in fine is part of that. This may be the "phone bypass" part he was talking about. You have the option of paying $5 per month and not connecting a phone line, so there is no absolute requirement for a phone line ever.

I suppose it's possible for them to deactivate the second tuner, but it makes no sense to do so. If you don't have a phone line, you just get charged $5.

I think he means that before the second tuner will work, whether for the second TV or just with the first TV, you must plug the phone line in to the Dish box or only the first tuner will work.

It doesn't work that way. At least, it hasn't in my experience. My ViP622 was working fine before I got the phone line run to it in my new house. Same for the 721. In fact, they must test the system before leaving after an installation and checking that the second tuner is coming in fine is part of that. This may be the "phone bypass" part he was talking about. You have the option of paying $5 per month and not connecting a phone line, so there is no absolute requirement for a phone line ever.

I suppose it's possible for them to deactivate the second tuner, but it makes no sense to do so. If you don't have a phone line, you just get charged $5.
Me either. I only have 1 tuner...a 625, and it is hooked to the TV1 and no phone line at all on either TV and both work fine.

I think navychop is the only poster so far who has the experience to understand what I'm referring to.

The reciever will become 'locked' into a situation where it won't allow anyone to view anything on the second TV if you don't hook up a phone line and you don't activate the phone bypass. Keep in mind, this is only during activation of a brand new reciever. So please don't comment on the veracity of my statements unless you've done a few new installations yourself with new dual tuners. And in order for this 'locked' situation to occur, you usually have to power off the TV2 tuner then power it back on. Typically that will throw up the TEST PHONE LINE connection screen that will never disappear ever ever unelss you do one of two things: 1) hook up an active phone line (sometimes impossible) or 2) call dishnetwork to activate the system with a phone bypass (always a time consuming hassle).

I can't comment on the 622 functionality regarding phone lines, as I have only touched one so far. But the 625s and 322s both have this same annoying behavior. I've had the phone line screen pop up on TV1's as well, but it's not as frequent.

To reiterrate, on most of my installs the phone line screen will never show it's face because I am very careful about NOT manually powering off the recievers until they have recieved 100% of their programming (with the phone bypass). OR, I will often force the screen to pop up by powering off TV2's tuner when I KNOW there is a working phonline by the dual tuner. Otherwise the customer's will see that screen later on and freak out. :rolleyes:

Well hopefully this won't happen. My son has already turned his TV, which I guess would be considered TV2, off twice.

Either way, we are having another phone jack installed later today so hopefully everything will go smoothly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts