Connecting to phone lines with dish??

wildcats

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
Do all receivers have to be connected to a phone line? Or is it only the dual tuner dvrs? I have VOIP phone service and will need to use splitters.

As far as I know, only the dual tuners. Previously I had three 301s, never connected, and the one original left is still not connected.

Dual tuners are required to be connected to a phone-line at all times to avoid a monthly fee recently bumped up to $5.00 per dual tuner not connected.

Your receiver must be plugged into a phone line to order pay-per-view events unless you order directly by our toll free number or over the INTERNET.

The purpose of plugging your tuners into a phone-line is our way of monitoring what you watch so we know what programming we offer is most appealing to our customers and how to rate it.

We also use this method as an anti-piracy attempt to make sure our customers are not watching events without authorization as well as a way to avoid account splitting since the receiver can be hooked up pretty much anywhere you have a compatible Dish setup.

NO... Your receivers do not have to be hooked up to phone-lines but in order to avoid contributing to our anti-piracy fund while making our systems more user friendly I personally suggest plugging them in.

Just another way to help us provide you with the lowest rates in quality programming!

Last edited:
The Tate said:
Plug them in so they con monitor what you watch!!

Sounds great to me. "Is that not called spying"?

Its ok, tunnel vision is common for people who can't take in the whole picture.

Pay $5.00 then IMO

I am just against anyone viewing what I watch on TV. Its my house and as long as I am not doing anything illegal here then STAY OUT. I do not have dish because I dislike all the politics that are involved "OLN, Lifetime, Viacom, etc". Tell me one good reason a dual tuner receiver has to be hooked to a phone line besides saving 5.00 it has no purpose other than monitoring. Do you think it would not make more sense to hook all single tuners into phone lines to make sure they are were they need to be. Just another way E* bribes its customers to get into there homes.

Ken P. said:
Just another way to help us provide you with the lowest rates in quality programming!

How?

Well, if you don't connect your receivers to a phone line expect a very "pleasant" call from the Auditing Police.
Just do a search on the "auditing team" and you'll see how "friendly" they are.

RandallA said:
Well, if you don't connect your receivers to a phone line expect a very "pleasant" call from the Auditing Police.
Just do a search on the "auditing team" and you'll see how "friendly" they are.

Another great reason to stay away from E*.

Sorry to bring this topic back up, but I needed a quck question answered involving this. How often does the receiver need to call in? I have a 322 receiver that's across the room from the nearest phone jack, I can connect it, but I'd rather not leave a long cable lying in the middle of the room, and also, the wireless phone jack I bought doesn't seem to work with it.

322 has an option that must be selected for certain types of wirless phonejacks in setup menu.

Should give you a warning when its time to connect the phoneline

Before i put in an additional phone line, my 942 dialed in once per night, so i just left it plugged in overnight, but it will dial as mentioned if you try to use the customer service functions, order a ppv event or test the connection.
Interestingly my old 510 would store the PPV info on the card and only dial in after a certain limit, but the 942 doesnt have the same card mechanism so i guess that may be why it's different.

Ken P. - You sound like you are a Dish Employee (used we a few times) , glad to have you here. Hope it's valuable information.

Yes Ken you post as if you are speaking for Dishnetwork, is that so?

Also can you point me to the wireless phone jack option?

Ken P. said:
We also use this method as an anti-piracy attempt to make sure our customers are not watching events without authorization

Please provide any info on this statement

Thanks

Jordan

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts