Connecting Wirelessly - Help!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bostongolfchick

Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Boston, MA
I am trying to connect my Directv HD DVR receiver to my wireless router with no success. It seems I need to purchase a wireless adaptor...Directv wants almost $80 for the connection kit. Can I buy this somewhere else for less? If so, what do I need to purchase? Or are there any other solutions that are not wired because my computer is in my office and I can't run a cable through the house from the living room to my office. Thanks!

I'd get this one from bestbuy or elsewhere.

Linksys - Dual-Band Wireless-N Ethernet Bridge - WET610N

The HR boxes will automatically detect this Linksys WET610N Ethernet bridge. After a few minutes of being connected to the bridge the HD DVR will give you a list of found wireless networks and then you key in your wireless password. Easy.

$80 from Directv, $100 from Best Buy, take your pick (same device).

You can also get ethernet powerline adapters.

I didn't have much luck with gigabyte powerline adapters. The problem you can have with powerline adapters is you don't know the quality of your electrical system in your house or what effect your other electrical devices that are plugged will have. For instance plugging in a vacuum cleaner on the same circuit as your powerline adapter may kill it's effectiveness.

If it works for you great. But I don't how to tell if you'll have problems until you actually get the adapters and use them. And in my case, they didn't work that well. Only good enough for SD MRV.

IMHO, if you're networking DirecTV STB's for the purpose of MRV or DirecTV2PC, and can't wait for DirecTV's DECA's then get something you can return for credit in case it doesn't work in your environment. BTW, if you order adapterd from DirecTV they are non-returnable.

IMHO, if you're networking DirecTV STB's for the purpose of MRV or DirecTV2PC, and can't wait for DirecTV's DECA's then get something you can return for credit in case it doesn't work in your environment. BTW, if you order adapterd from DirecTV they are non-returnable.

Do you need a SWM setup in order to use DECA? I ask since I still have 3 R15s, I don't have a SWM setup.

Do you need a SWM setup in order to use DECA? I ask since I still have 3 R15s, I don't have a SWM setup.

Yep, DECA requires SWiM. The rumor is that DirecTV would replace any hardware necessary to upgrade someone to DECA for the one flat charge ($99 is a number that's been thrown around). So depending on what they install for you it could be you get a SWiM8, with the 3 legacy ports for on R15, then two R16's to replace the other R15's.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)