Connection Help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kevin Yang

Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
I have a RCA Ant 806 and a FTA dish with signal split to a diplexer outside and rejoined with another diplexer inside the house. The satellite signal shows some loss as expected, but I get no signal with the OTA antenna. I did not install the amplifier outside because we do not have an electric socket where it is located and using an extension cord would be unacceptable because we get lots of rain.

What should I do?

Is my only option to run separate coax cables?

I was thinking of installing this inline amplifier that does not require power outlet. INLINE AMPLIFIER TV CABLE SATELLITE SIGNAL BOOSTER HDTV - eBay (item 130322190713 end time Mar-23-11 22:35:35 PDT)
Does anyone have experience with this?

Will this work?
COAX-->In-line Amp-->Diplexer-->Diplexer-->TV
or
COAX-->In-line Amp-->Diplexer-->Diplexer-->Powered Amplifier-->TV

I don't want to blow my tv or anything..

The diplexer will not pass power to the amplifier located at the antenna. Diplexers only pass power on the SAT/LNB ports. Your only solution is to install the power inserter between the antenna/amplifier and the diplexer. Or run a separate coax.
The ebay item needs power, would be installed between diplexers, and uses the LNB voltage to operate.
TV & STB > diplexer > inline amp > diplexer > dish/LNB & TV ant. And the TV antenna used cannot have an amp, As no power gets to it, no signal is passed to the coax. (I.E: the RCA Ant 806 is unusable in this configuration, unless you can bypass/remove the internal amplifier)
Does anyone have experience with this?
I'd run another coax, as I've run into more problems:( trying to use cheap amplifiers than I care to mention. If you try it, let us know the results. BTW - WELCOME!:)

The diplexer will not pass power to the amplifier located at the antenna. Diplexers only pass power on the SAT/LNB ports. Your only solution is to install the power inserter between the antenna/amplifier and the diplexer. Or run a separate coax.
The ebay item needs power, would be installed between diplexers, and uses the LNB voltage to operate.
TV & STB > diplexer > inline amp > diplexer > dish/LNB & TV ant. And the TV antenna used cannot have an amp, As no power gets to it, no signal is passed to the coax. (I.E: the RCA Ant 806 is unusable in this configuration, unless you can bypass/remove the internal amplifier) I'd run another coax, as I've run into more problems:( trying to use cheap amplifiers than I care to mention. If you try it, let us know the results. BTW - WELCOME!:)

Ok thanks for the warm welcome..
Do you by chance know of any OTA antenna that works well with diplexer that does not need to be amplified. We have tried the Winegard SS3000 already, but our reception is so bad inside the house. It needs to be an outdoor antenna.

I'd run the extra coax, myself

I have a modest-performance outdoor OTA antenna

Bidirectional "Swept-Wing" Antenna for Local TV Channels
Radio shack part number: 15-2181
It looks like a Frisbee with wings. ;)
Well, the darned thing is amplified, and meant to work -with- your satellite dish, if ya have one.
To that end, it comes with two diplexers that pass power on both sides.
One side runs the LNB, and the other supplies power to the Frisbee.

I'm sure you can't buy the diplexers from R/S any more, but try SolidSignal.com
Or do a Google search. They're difficult to find and be sure you have the right animal.

Oh, and my Frisbee works with our without power, but much better with. :)

I have a modest-performance outdoor OTA antenna

Bidirectional "Swept-Wing" Antenna for Local TV Channels
Radio shack part number: 15-2181
It looks like a Frisbee with wings. ;)
Well, the darned thing is amplified, and meant to work -with- your satellite dish, if ya have one.
To that end, it comes with two diplexers that pass power on both sides.
One side runs the LNB, and the other supplies power to the Frisbee.

I'm sure you can't buy the diplexers from R/S any more, but try SolidSignal.com
Or do a Google search. They're difficult to find and be sure you have the right animal.

Oh, and my Frisbee works with our without power, but much better with. :)

how do you know which diplexers pass power on both sides? Fat Air said that diplexers pass power on the lnb side.

thanks for your help guys.. i think i will run another coax cable to save me from headache.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts