Connection options for 2 dual tuner DISH receivers on 4 TVs

scaz

Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere in the forums. I spent a few hours and found some connection threads but not one addressing my situation. I just ordered DISH and had installer out last week. Installed a 722 HD DVR dual tuner and a 322 HD dual tuner. Wife and I arguing about which room gets the TV2 from DVR unit and also want flexibility to watch TV on TV1 connected to 722 while recording a show, and at the same time having option to watch a separate channel on TV connected primarily to TV2 of 722 unit.

Found a diagram that seems to do what I am looking for but somewhat complex and not sure how to implement this with the current setup by installer. http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/images/pdf/tech/DistributionExample6.pdf

Current setup has Dishpro separator (I think separator) to split single sat coax feed to both Sat inputs on a given receiver. Not sure where to insert other components and whether they will even work with this separator in line.

Asked installer about doing this setup and got a puzzled look. If I don't want to connect OTA to be available at all TVs, is there a simpler way?

I have wiring run as follows (all terminate at central closet):
Main room (2 RG6 cables, 1 Ethernet, 1 phone)
Office (2 RG6 cables, 1 Ethernet, 1 phone)
Bedroom (1 RG6 cable, 1 ethernet)
Garage (1 RG6 cable)
2 cables coming from Satellite Dish (RG6)

Current TV connections:
TV1 - Main room to TV1 on 722 via HDMI
TV2 - Bedroom to TV2 on 722 via RF
TV3 - Office to TV1 on 322 via HDMI
TV4 - Garage on TV2 of 322 via RF

Both receivers have a separator connected to Sat1/Sat 2 connectors and then the single output from that connected to what looks like a diplexor (UHF/VHF on one input and the combined sat feed on the other). In media closet, Sat1 coax goes to diplexor (with one output going to receiver, other output going to TV2). Repeat connection for Sat2 and receiver 2 w/TV 3 and 4.

I would like to be able to share TV2 from 722 between TV1-TV4 to allow watching DVR'd show anywhere in house if desired.

I would also like to be able to share TV2 from 322 between TV1-TV4 to allow watching TV on either of the primary TVs connected to 722 when recording a show or watching recorded show...

Seems like this would be a popular setup (especially allowing the DVR to be available at any TV location).

Can anyone point me to a possible simplified solution? What additional remotes would I need? Do I need to select receiver outputs on the (AIR) range while having others on the (CABLE) range for receiver TV2 outputs to allow combining?

Thanks,
Scott

You can accomplish the same effect of the diagram, but not the same way. Since you are using Dish Pro Plus Technology, you'll only need one cable going to each location.

I suppose, if there are already two cables going to each RECEIVER, you could simplify things, but the way I'd do it is with less diplexers and more splitters.

Also, if you've got a powered splitter, don't put the power insertion unit by a TV. Instead, install it by the switch in the basement, and run an extension cord to that location if there is no power outlet nearby.

I've often fantasized about installing two standard definition dual tuners by the junction, then sending all four video signals to every television in the house. Then you'd just run one coax to a central location where the UHF antenna would make the UHF remotes respond well, and voila - four tuners feeding as many TVs as you could possibly want. Just keep track of all those remotes, and their corresponding channel numbers!

The only problem with that scenario is the possible interference issues you'll have with both TV 1's...channels 3 and 4 may give some ghosting (easy enough to stagger enough of a channel gap for the TV 2's)

Possible diagram

Anabot thanks for the ideas. I tried to simplify the diagram but still not quite sure how the dishpro separators, etc operate.

Will this attached diagram achieve same results? Do I need the modulator there or just a combiner (as long as no channel collisions)? Will I need an amp and if so is this the right place for it?

Thanks,
SCott

Attachments

• satellite-wiring-diagram.pdf
    8.3 KB · Views: 1,324
The only problem with that scenario is the possible interference issues you'll have with both TV 1's...channels 3 and 4 may give some ghosting (easy enough to stagger enough of a channel gap for the TV 2's)
As the 722/622 do not output on channels 3 or 4 on TV1 nor TV2 but rather on UHF frequencies it is easy to have all 4 output of 2 DVRs on the same cable.
I use air channels 60 62 64 66 combined with my OTA in a 3-to-1 reverse splitter and fed to a 4-way 10dB amp and another splitter to feed 2 722s, a 622, my main TV and a secondary TV, an old projection TV, combined with the third satellite signal to feed the remote 622, and if needed a DVD recorder.
I use direct S-video for any serious DVD recording--have not done that in a while with 6 EHDs.
Since I usually operate both 722s in single mode there are only 2 distinct channels from the recorders.
The optical audio outputs are 4-way switched for the 722s, the DVD recorder, and main TV to an amp. Somewhat a rat's nest.
-Ken

I use air channels 60 62 64 66 combined with my OTA in a 3-to-1 reverse splitter and fed to a 4-way 10dB amp and another splitter to feed 2 722s, a 622, my main TV and a secondary TV, an old projection TV, combined with the third satellite signal to feed the remote 622, and if needed a DVD recorder.
I use direct S-video for any serious DVD recording--have not done that in a while with 6 EHDs. Since I usually operate both 722s in single mode there are only 2 distinct channels from the recorders. The optical audio outputs are 4-way switched for the 722s, the DVD recorder, and main TV to an amp. Somewhat a rat's nest.
-Ken

Yeah, totally a rats nest... a rats nest of AWESOMENESS.

Only problem I see with the OP's supposed diagram is that the 322 does not have HDMI and that is only on HD receivers of which the 322 is not one. If the OP meant a 622, 722 or 222 then he/she is fine, if not then an s-video (with audio lines), composite or rf can be used to tv3.

All,

Thanks for the feedback. Garys - my mistake, I had 322 on the mind but I meant the 222 w/HD.

I will have to give the suggestions a try.

After that, then I can tackle how to get all the necessary audio in home theater / amplifier.

Scott

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts