Consecutive Recordings Problem

Mister B

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
El Paso County Texas
I have used our "Search" function and although came across some related hints, have not seen this particular problem addressed. Please excuse the very long post as I find this difficult to describe accurately in a shorter format. I have the HWS, one unit only (no Joey) and the DVR defaults are set to 1 minute early and 2 minutes late.
When I record two consecutive shows off of the same channel, of course I watch the earlier episode first. When I go to watch the second show the information bar shows that there is an hour and 3 minutes left and of course it begins with the last minute of the previous show I have already seen and deleted. I usually fast forward to the start of the second show but 2 minutes into it, I get the pop-up showing that the DVR event has finished. I can usually rescue my second episode by restoring the first and choosing start-over for the second show and then fast-forward past the offending mark. It is not a very pleasant experience.
I used a two tuner Tivo for OTA for years and it definitely used the second tuner if I wanted padding, or overlap. The Hopper seems to use just one tuner as indicated by the color record icons in the guide. I suppose it records the entire two hour event and then assigns the first half and second half as separate events. I think that "flag" for "end of event" is embedded in the recording two minutes into the second show even when trying to watch the second show.
I believe this problem could be eliminated by going to zero padding. I really do not want to do that as I started out with just 1 minute late and still missed the last scene of several shows. I have been making manual recordings of the entire 2 hour event, complete with desired padding. However, that takes me back to the Beta-Max age including a piece of paper to note what shows that was (ex. on TNT at 7AM).
Does anyone else experience this problem? Are there any other work-arounds? I would prefer that DISH just fix this flaw.

I thought with Dish when you have back to back shows on same channel it drops the padding (unless its set at like 5 minutes). I know when I had a 211k it did that.

Maybe the Hawper is different

OK, I "searched" around some more and although I can not find the post again (too many common words), I believe it was you, Iceberg who mentioned that if the padding was increased to 2 minutes early and 3 minutes late, it would force the use of a second tuner. Thank you. I tried this yesterday with two early morning consecutive episodes of NCIS. Sure enough when I requested recording of the second episode the color of the record icon in the first episode turned from blue to green. (odd how it always chooses the blue tuner and changes the color of the previous icons).
I watched both episodes later in the day and was able to view the second episode without any "end of event" pop-up screen or inconvience.
I only occasionally record two shows at once and of course this will leave the third tuner available for those occasions. This would not work for a family with more demanding viewing habits but I can live with it.

Reactions: Mr Tony
When I record back-to-back programs using the system defaults, the Hopper typically uses two tuners. If you're forcing into using one tuner, consider recording a different airing of one or the other programs.

The way I do our favorite scheduled timer channels that never seem to end on time is add 10 minutes End Late time to the timer. Every morning I take a look at the daily schedule and for timers that or back to back channels I do an Edit Event and reduce the first scheduled timer End Late time to 0 minutes. This is a pain in the A--, but believe me if I don't get the scheduled timers just right I would have even a bigger pain in my A-- from my dearest wife! It is really sad that programs don't end at the correct time. I have read a lot about this issue in SatGuys, I really don't know where the hell the problem is. With from wherever DISH gets the schedule from or it is a timing issue with the DISH guide. Wish it got fixed somehow.

It was me way back when. And I said that 2 minutes before and 2 minutes after would force the use of the 2nd tuner. This was (and still is) on a 722.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)