Considering 942 upgrade from 811 - gotchas?

plyall

Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
Denver, CO
Folks -

I currently have 2 HD receivers (811's), a 510 PVR, and an older model 47xx. I am running a Dish 500 outside pointed at 110/119, and have a second Dish pointed at 61.5 (from the original HD days of yore). My system uses a SW64 switch.

I have been considering ugrading at least one of the 811's to a 942, and have some questions for the smart folks that have gone before me.

1) I followed the 921 developments for a while, but got discouraged. From a very quick sampling of the forum today it appears: 921 = BAD; 942 = GOOD. Is this accurate?

2) Will I need to make any changes to my dishes or switch? Currently I believe that I am using all ports on the SW64 both in and out (feeding the 4 receivers). When I upgrade to the 942, since that's a dual receiver, I'm guessing that I'll have to reallocate one of my existing receiver lines so that I can I can watch and record separate sources, right? Since one of the 811's is close to the bedroom (where my 510 is), I'm guessing I could just use the TV2 out of the 942 to service the bedroom, right?

3) Is there a better switch that would allow me to run 5 or 6 receivers? Right now the upstairs guest room is taking an RF cable feed from my upstairs 811 (via a VCR being used as an oversized RF modulator) - It would be ideal to be able to give the guest room it's own receiver. I have a similar situation in the front living room - we have a small TV there that's slaved via RF to the bedroom's 510 PVR -= having its own receiver would be nice, but we could live with a workaround such as we're doing now.

4) I used to be a Voom+Dish customer (anybody want my old receivers?). I installed an off the air antenna to get the hi-def locals, and after several false starts I now get the important ones (CBS, PBS, and NBC - I'm in the Denver area). I do get the program guide information for these on my 811's because I also subscribe to the Denver local channels package. Will I still get the guide info if I move to the 942?

5) Is there a possibility of using TWO RF remotes with the 942 (one for TV1 and obe for TV2)? We'd like to use them one each in the sitting room and bedroom - I supposed we could revert to one IR and one RF if that's all it supports.

6) Any other 'gotchas' or lost features, additional costs, or other surprises I should be aware of?

7) I have started to research online resellers for the 942 - looks like one of the sponsors here sells them for aroudn $630 - is that a good way to go?

8) Last (I PROMISE) question - am I being stupid/impatient in not waiting for MP4 equipment, or can we exect that to take 12-18 to arrive and mature before it becomes readily available and stable?

Thanks so much - while I usually only visit here when technology heats up and I need to research something, I always learn something and get the latest nes and insight from you folks. Thanks in advance for any help or guidance you can offer!

Pete Lyall

A1. Depends. Satellite only, a cheap 921 might be OK for you.
A2. It's time to retire that Legacy gear. But your plan is workable.
A3. See above.
A4. Good question. It DOES vary by city. Maybe a Denverite can chime in. Oh - and yes, an already-activated V* receiver IS useful. I'll take them if you don't want them.
A5. Yes.
A6. Could be. :)
A7. Yes.
A8. Only you can decide that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts