Considering a Change

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JimDx

Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
Lebanon, OH
Hi everyone,

First post. Found this site yesterday and am very impressed with all the user feedback to people's questions.

I have a few newbish questions myself. First my situation.

Currently subscribe to TWC in the Cincinnati area. Other than one important issue, I'm fairly pleased with the service. PQ is good and I love the VOD service. I also like having access to a local retail outlet, precluding service calls when necessary, if it involves a simple hardware swap. My one big gripe is the lack of HD. We currently get the networks, Discovery, TNT, HDNET, HD Movies, and INHD. Like everyone else, we just lost INHD2 and as of yet, nothing has been added as a replacement.

I sent the following email to them this morning and received a rather bland response:

I'd like to know when TWC in the Cincy market will be expanding their HD channel line-up. I've been an HD customer for a couple of years now, and quite frankly, the line-up is pretty poor. Not only have you not expanded, but recently INHD2 went off the air and you haven't replaced it with anything. So I'm getting less for my money now than when I signed up. Looking over various internet forums ( avs.com, sattelliteguys.com, etc), it's obvious that not only would a solution like Directv or Dish offer more, but even other TWC markets have a greater selection of HD channels than Cincy.

I'm seriously considering a switch, but will hold off until I hear back on your future plans (and please, something a little more concrete than the usual "we are in negotiations with .....). That's not going to keep me as a customer with a monthly fee of over $100/month.

Thanks in advance for the feedback,

And the gem of a response I received:

Thank you for writing Time Warner Cable Customer Service,

Unfortunately, we cannot disclose any information regarding potential future programming. However, we do continually evaluate the programming that is offered. We will continue to add channels as situations become favorable. We thank you for your correspondence, as we do utilize this information to influence programming changes.

If we can ever be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us either by e-mail at customerservice@cinci.rr.com or by telephone -- 24 hours a day, 7 days a week -- at the phone numbers listed below.
Greater Cincinnati Area - (513) 469-1112 or (513) 469-1145
Outside Cincinnati Area (Toll Free) - 1-800-677-9767

Please be sure to visit our Web site at www.twcinci.com for information updates, channel lineups, and more!

Thank you again for writing,
Ryan
E-mail Correspondence Associate
Time Warner Cable of Southwest Ohio

Now I certainly didn't expect the response to state we will be adding the following channels on the following dates, but jeez a throw me a little bit of a bone, like stay tuned, there are several additions coming in XQ 2007....

So, with that, I'm thinking it's time to move on. I previously subscribed to D* back in the middle/late 90s as cable wasn't available in the area we lived. I was very much attracted by the availability of Sunday Ticket (lifelong Pats fan). This is still a big appeal for me, however I've seen the recent pricing for ST with HD and almost choked.

My main concerns are I've heard the reference to HD Lite and don't really understand, other than it involves compression, but I'm not sure how much that actually influences Hi Def PQ. The other issue is the commitment period. Not sure how long it is now, but are you really screwed if you're not pleased with the PQ? Is there some process early on in your commitment that allows you to opt out if you aren't satisfied?

I currently use the SA8300HD receiver with TWC and am fairly satisfied with it. Any comments on how it compares to what D* currently offers for an HD DVR?

Also, from what I've read here, I'm assuming I would have to do without VOD. If this is incorrect, please advise.

Thanks so much for any feedback and sorry for the long winded post.

Jim D.

I agree, why go through all that setup, learning a new system and be in whatever commitment they have; just to be begging to switch again after this summer?

Good advise Chip/Raoul

Unfortunately for you, asking on this forum who is better at HD in the satellite world is like asking an Israeli and a Palestinian who's religion is better...

To be honest with you, if you are just now changing over, and number of HD channels is your concern, sign up for Directv.

Here is why.

Dish Network has more HD Channels, right now. However the channels they have that noone else has are channels you will not miss. 1 is just pictures of art all day or Fashion shows.

Directv has locals in HD, the HD channels that everyone actually wants, along with the capacity and desire to add any networks that go HD. So Directv will eventually, within a year, lead in HD.

Since both companys have a programming commitment of 18-24 months, go with the one that will have the greater 1 years HD line-up, Directv.

You may just want to stay where you are a wait a few months to see what happens with Dish and Direct and maybe even TWC. VOD will not be the same if you switch to Satellite.

Since I presently have both I do hope that DirecTV does do better with their HD Mepeg4 DVR and their HD programing. But real happy with DISH's 622 DVR and their present HD programing and would hate to do without it till September or later that is the rumored date for D* to improve. In my case I would like to cancel one service, but maybe E* will still be the HD Leader even then, as I see everyday on my set-up, not only in programing but PQ, too. Not sure what the future holds (AT&T here is planning to have HD available this year) but TODAY if I was to cancel, it would be D*. I would add E* or put D* on hold to enjoy great HD Today. Others will say wait, but I'm for enjoying today with my investment in HT.

Agree with what some say in the beginning.

D* will shortly be beating Dish so why sign up with Dish when they will be behind in less then a year?

I'm glad I made the switch from TWC-Cinci last week. I strongly suggest you layout the channels you need/want and figure out which one can best meet your needs for the price you're willing to pay.

At this time only D* offers HD locals for the Cinci market. E* has a wider HD selection, with about three real HD networks more than D* (FoodHD, HGTVHD, and National Geographic HD). D* has already agreed to carry the Big Ten Network which will carry two games for each conference team (if that's important to you).

I think all TV providers suck and are ripping us off. I don't think any one provider is better for all people than another. The trick is finding the one that gives you the most programming you're after. Numbers of channels isn't important, it's the content.

If you have any other specific questions for switching from TWC-Cinci to D* PM me and I will answer them the best that I can.

You may want to go to the DISH forum and ask the same question. A lot of bias here toward D*. You will probably also get bias from the E* site, but at least you will have both sides.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts