Considering Directv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

daniel1980

Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
My question is this:

I'm trying to decide whether or not to get Directv and was wondering if I could get advice.

I live in FL, but I commute into GA for work (10 hour days, 4 days a week, so only here three nights a week).

Can I legally get Directv for my home in FL and then take a receiver to the apartment I use in GA?

If so, what other considerations do I need to make?

Thanks.

My question is this:

I'm trying to decide whether or not to get Directv and was wondering if I could get advice.

I live in FL, but I commute into GA for work (10 hour days, 4 days a week, so only here three nights a week).

Can I legally get Directv for my home in FL and then take a receiver to the apartment I use in GA?

If so, what other considerations do I need to make?

Thanks.
Yes,
Set up your account at your Flordia home with at least 2 rec.'s, have D* do the installation, purchase a dish from somewhere and point it at your Ga residence and use your second rec up in Ga.

D* has different ideas about this, many have talked to D* and they have no problem with it, while other time they want you to set up 2 seperate accounts.

Jimbo

You didn't mention where in FL and GA you are. Depending on where you are you might loose your local channels since their on spotbeams which may not reach your GA home. You also might not want to connect the receiver to a phone line in GA so when the box calls home once a month D* doesn't see it connecting from two different locations, it might raise a flag on some system somewhere.

You didn't mention where in FL and GA you are. Depending on where you are you might loose your local channels since their on spotbeams which may not reach your GA home. You also might not want to connect the receiver to a phone line in GA so when the box calls home once a month D* doesn't see it connecting from two different locations, it might raise a flag on some system somewhere.

Yes, I'm sure there are different spotbeams, they're in different time zones (Panama City and Macon).

Raise a flag? I don't want to be illegal about it.

Yes,
purchase a dish from somewhere and point it at your Ga residence and use your second rec up in Ga.

Jimbo

What would I hook this up to, one of the LNBs? Then my GA receiver will pick it up? I don't quite understand this concept? 3 satellites, 1 pointed in the sky two at each other?

I think what was explained was to get the DirecTV installed at your FL home with 2 or more receivers.

THEN

Buy a second dish off ebay, SatGuys Classifieds here, or where ever.

THEN

Take that 2nd dish and a receiver to the GA location and set it up; AKA: "POINT IT" / "AIM IT".

I might be wrong, but that was my interpretation of Jimbo's comment.

Good points Rad,
I forgot to mention them,

daniel1980,
You can plug the phone in at the location on the account, But DO NOT at the other location, the box will call out from time to time and they would eventually ask you about it.

Jimbo

.... and do not load up that GA receiver (the non-phone line receiver) with remote ordered PPV; order all PPV (either location) via the DirecTV website!

I think what was explained was to get the DirecTV installed at your FL home with 2 or more receivers.

THEN

Buy a second dish off ebay, SatGuys Classifieds here, or where ever.

THEN

Take that 2nd dish and a receiver to the GA location and set it up; AKA: "POINT IT" / "AIM IT".

I might be wrong, but that was my interpretation of Jimbo's comment.

Exactly,
Thanks Charper, I had to get out of the house for awhile and actually WATCH some of my D* programming !, and was unable to respond :up

Jimbo

Exactly,
Thanks Charper, I had to get out of the house for awhile and actually WATCH some of my D* programming !, and was unable to respond :up

Jimbo

So being out of my 'spotbeam' I would have everything, except my locals??

That's correct.

You may still get your locals "if" the spot beam covers both locations. It seems that one spot beam (transponder 28) covers some parts of both states so if your local channels are on transponder 28 you might still get them. Also if you can get a free HD box you could have a better chance of getting your locals in HD via satellite compared to your SD local channels. I've noticed that the HD LIL spotbeams are bigger in many places.

Just making sure you know it might work but it depends. If your working say 100 or so miles away I'd bet you would get your locals fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)