Status
Please reply by conversation.

sammy4041

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Eau Claire, WI
Hello,

I am close enough to my contract expiring with dish, that I am considering Directv. I have some general questions for you experts on this side of the table. I have searched some of these topics, but they seem to get out of scope either through bias or misinformation.

1. For those who have had both, how does HD and SD compare to dishnetwork? Are most people happy with the PQ.

2. Getting rid of the smokescreen with dicounts, you can get the top programming package that includes the HD fees and DVR fees for roughly 80 bucks a month. Am I looking at the correct way?

3. I live in the lacrosse/Eau Claire DMA, does anyone know when this DMA will be going HD?

Again thank you for your time. I am really ready for a change.

1. For those who have had both, how does HD and SD compare to dishnetwork? Are most people happy with the PQ.

Directv's old HD (8 older channels in the 70s) are mpeg 2 - and don't look good, worse than dish. All the new HD looks fabulous, and better than dish.

2. Getting rid of the smokescreen with dicounts, you can get the top programming package that includes the HD fees and DVR fees for roughly 80 bucks a month. Am I looking at the correct way?

The HD-DVR package is $73, under 80 even with a second receiver, before any discounts :)

3. I live in the lacrosse/Eau Claire DMA, does anyone know when this DMA will be going HD?

Almost all DMAs will go HD in 2008 after the launch of D11 (march 17th). Expect more markets starting in the summer. They'll have capacity for 1500 local hds - enough for most every station in the nation!

Check out the "save $240" thread and the referral thread before you order.

Thank you for the quick reply.

Since I have the expert at hand.

Is OTA recording possible with the HD DVR. Also, are the Standards going to go MPEG 4 anytime soon.

Thank you for the quick reply.

Since I have the expert at hand.

Is OTA recording possible with the HD DVR. Also, are the Standards going to go MPEG 4 anytime soon.

It is very hard to find an HR20-700 receiver.
Your best bet is to check your local Costco/BB/CC/Sears and see if they have any of them in stock. You can also try your local retailers.

I just changed from Dish to DTV, so far happy, much better HD selection. I got mine thru Costco and got a great deal including $20 off per month for a year and $250 in gift cards. I got the 2 HR20-700 HD DVR's and so far so good, I had one show record tonight that will not play, not sure what is going on with that.

Is there any hope that the "standards" still on MPEG-2 (ESPN, ESPN2 among others) will eventually move to MPEG-4. Those are pretty important channels in my decision making, and from all I've read here in the last week or two, it seems like the PQ on them isn't very good. This is one of the concerns holding up my decision to switch to DirecTV from Comcast, in fact.

Jeff

The HR20-100 will also do OTA recording. It is a sister model of the HR20-700

My Neighbor got a new one last month.

Or wait for the new HR21 and USB add on to do OTA recording, but the add on will cost a little more (price not announced yet, I would guess at $60)

the mpeg2 hd channels will eventually switch to mpeg4, and look much better, but probally not until sometime in 2009.

they don't look terrible, just not as good as hd should look.

Is HDNet in mpeg-2? That channel usually looks quite good. Another channel I notice looks a bit better than average is DTV's 101.

My parents switched from Dish to DTV and have been happy with the wider HD offering. I think the only complaint they had was the guide info is terse on DTV compared to Dish.

Is there any hope that the "standards" still on MPEG-2 (ESPN, ESPN2 among others) will eventually move to MPEG-4. Those are pretty important channels in my decision making, and from all I've read here in the last week or two, it seems like the PQ on them isn't very good. Jeff
Nothing wrong with any of the HD channels MPEG 2 or 4 thats going to give you a noticable problem.

Is HDNet in mpeg-2? That channel usually looks quite good. Another channel I notice looks a bit better than average is DTV's 101.

My parents switched from Dish to DTV and have been happy with the wider HD offering. I think the only complaint they had was the guide info is terse on DTV compared to Dish.

HDNet is mpeg 2 currently.
Maybe they will like the guide abit better now, the latest CE added more detail to it, something many have been asking for. :up

Jimbo

HDNet is mpeg 2 currently.
Maybe they will like the guide abit better now, the latest CE added more detail to it, something many have been asking for. :up

Jimbo

They have the HR20 which may have better data now but they aren't up late enough to grab the CE.

I'm not sure if anything was done for the HR21 I'm using. The only notes are about nondescript performance/stability enhancements.

I just made the switch from dish to direct on saturday. Over all I am very pleased with the switch. I personally feel that all of the Channels HD and SD look much better then they did on my dish. Including my locals that are still in SD. The only complaint my wife and I currently have is trying to figure out where all of the channels are located and getting used to the new interface. Overall it was one of the best decisions I have made.

I have had DIRECTV HD for about a month and a half and I like the selection of hd channels with DIRECTV and I really watch the CHiller Channel a lot , but I really loved my 722 dvr much much better than my hr 21 dvr. The hr 21 is slow in response to any push of the buttons and the guide is really slow in comparison. I can finally turn on my hr 21 with the remote control now and it doesn't require a reboot anymore just to turn it on. I am getting used to where the channels are located but I still think they need a realignment with all news channels in one spot, all sports in one spot etc. I still use DISH for just the hd pack and for recording my network shows and locals. THE hr 21 doesn't have ota support . IT is worth the price to have both providers to me since I can record 3 things at the same time with DISH on my networks and locals while my Directv dvr is recording two sat shows -mostly premium movie channels in HD. I truely love the DIRECTV Video on demand features. THey load very fast compared to DISHonline. I downloaded an hd video on demand over the internet and it only costed $3.99. DISH is trying to charge anywhere from $4.99 over the guide for an hd movie to $6.99 if it is pre recorded on the hard drive on DISH on DEMAND. As to picture quality I will give HD quality to DIRECTV and SD quality to DISH. THe Chiller channel is one of my favorites but sometimes the video quality looks like streaming internet video. I will be glad when they do CHILLER in hd. I think if things keep going the way they are that DIRECTV will still have more hd than DISH by years end. I will keep DISH for just my locals though. You can't beat the three at a time recording ability.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)