Considering Dish Network - A Few Questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hcour

Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Hello. I currently have TWC w/a SA8300HD DVR STB. I also have a WD 500 GB external hard drive connected via USB port, which allows 80 more hours of HD recording and several hundred more hours of SD recording. Does the Dish HD DVR STB have such a port for an external HD?

One feature I like on my current box is "Copy to VCR", which allows me to copy anything recorded on my STB to my DVD-R, in the background, while I can watch/record other channels. Does the DISH box have this option?

MY current box can record 2 channels while I watch a third. Does the DISH box have this capability?

Thanks much,
Harold

One feature I like on my current box is "Copy to VCR", which allows me to copy anything recorded on my STB to my DVD-R, in the background, while I can watch/record other channels. Does the DISH box have this option?
Yes, you "Copy to VCR" while recording something else.
MY current box can record 2 channels while I watch a third. Does the DISH box have this capability?

Thanks much,
Harold
Yes. Infact with OTA you can record another one.

Great, thanks. Just one more question: Is there any way to transfer a movie recorded on the DISH DVR to a computer (for longterm storage) and then transfer it back to the DVR when you're ready to watch it? I believe Tivo has this capability, but my SA8300 does not.

Thanks,
Harold

Great, thanks. Just one more question: Is there any way to transfer a movie recorded on the DISH DVR to a computer (for longterm storage) and then transfer it back to the DVR when you're ready to watch it? I believe Tivo has this capability, but my SA8300 does not.

Thanks,
Harold

No, Dish does not allow this. You can transfer to an external hard drive and back for viewing, but not to a computer.

Thanks,
Harold
They only allow real time recording, or just to a EHD. But you can only watch it from the HD back on the receiver.

this is OT but how can you DVR two programs and watch a third? I have the same 8300 receiver and all I can do is DVR two and watch a previously DVR'd third.

Also, I recently got an email from a friend with a 722. He said he was DVRing from all tuners, OTA, TV1 and TV2. Plus watching different, previously recorded programs on TV1 and TV2. That would make for 5 different things at once! He thought that was really cool. i have to admit, i do too.

I have a VIP622. The only way I've gotten programs onto my DVD recorder is to play them on the dish receiver into the DVD recorder. I'm not sure I've ever tried watching something else while doing that.

I have my OTA antenna connected to my dish receiver and I subscribe to my locals through Dish. This allows me to see the antenna programming in my receiver's guide just as though it was any other program coming in via satellite. The antenna channels are color coded so you know which is which. This also means you can simply select them and use the guide to initiate recording of OTA programs. I can record 2 satellite programs plus a program coming in from the antenna all at the same time while I'm watching something I had previously recorded.

There is a USB port on the dish receiver to which you can connect an external hard drive for additional storage. Some receivers have more than one USB port. You can plug a flash drive into one and transfer photos and watch them like a slide show. This is kinda fun for family gatherings.

Some receivers have more than one USB port. You can plug a flash drive into one and transfer photos and watch them like a slide show. This is kinda fun for family gatherings.
But you can only use one at a time. There are two so you can either plug your device in on the rear of the unit and keep the cables out of sight or use the one on the front for USB thumb drives. But they are the same "circuit" so to speak so only one can get used at a time. This is not like modern laptop computers.

Still, you can't beat the Vip722 with any set top box from anywhere regardless of the service you use.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)