Considering HD choices

BradleyD

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Knoxville, TN
I'm hoping to be able to move up from SD DISH 500 to HD programming fairly soon. I will need to relocate the DISH from WA to EA for locals given my location in Knoxville, TN. I have read on this forum that a multiple dish system can be used to use WA for some channels and 61.5 for locals. However, the view to the WA is becoming problematic and there is an excellent view to the EA. Because of this, it will be in effect a brand new install. I have a few questions that I have searched, but am not sure of definitive answers. I have 2 TV's (one on each floor)

1. I understand that I can get either 2 hoppers or 1 hopper and 1 super joey or instead 1 regular joey. What is the per month price difference between the 3 choices?

2. I understand that the super joey requires a third cable for an integrator or some new yet unknown tech from the DISH from what I have read. Is this correct? If I have 2 hoppers, will 3 cables also need to be run from the DISH or will 2 work like it would with hopper and regular joey?

3. I plan to get a new DISH. I assume it will be 1000.4. Is that correct?

Whatever you get, DISH will set it up for you so I wouldn't spend a lot of time creating a hardware shopping list and making grand implementation plans.

Monthly fees below

DVR with Hopper system $12
2nd Hopper $12
Super Joey $10
Joey $7

A 2 Hopper set up would still use three wires from the satellite but no integrator. The integrator allows the Super Joey's 2 tuners to work through the Hopper.

You are correct on the satellite.

Reactions: BradleyD
1: Hoppers are $12/month each. Joeys are $7/month each, Super Joeys are $10/month each.
2: A third cable will be needed in either case.
3: There is also a 1000.2 with an EA LNB. Either would work.

As Harshness said though, for items 2 & 3, call Dish and let the installer do whatever is needed. The math almost never makes sense to buy equipment on an upgrade. The ETF for an upgrade is $240 MAX, and goes down $10 per month. You couldn't get all the equipment for $240 if purchasing. Even taking in potential re-sale value if you cancel, it is likely a better deal to take the contract.

Thanks for the specific answers from JasonS and JM42. I have no desire to buy equipment, but I do want to know the prices for the different setups because you get more tuners/dvr's/etc depending on what you get. I also have considerations regarding implementation which I will not bother to list.

2 Hoppers = $12 DVR fee + $12 fee for hopper #2 = $24 total for 6 sat tuners.
1 Hoppers + Super Joey = $12 DVR fee + $10 for SJ = $22 total for 5 sat tuners.
1 Hopper + Joey = $12 DVR fee + $7 for joey = $19 total for 3 sat tuners.
Add $7 for any additional joeys needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)