Considering leaving Dish. How might DirecTV Fit for me?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mike_H

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Twin Cities, MN
I currently have 4 tv's with independent DVR viewing(3 receivers). I can currently record 5 HD streams at the same time, (one receiver recording 2 sat, + 1 OTA all HD) and I'd like to maintain that.

I was getting ready to swap out 2 receivers and exchange it for another dual tuner unit before dish decided to become more "competitive". So it's time to shop around.

I'd like to have independent viewing and DVR functionality for 4 tv's. Two televisions will be HD, two SD. One of the HD really needs to be able to record OTA HD as well as 2 Sat signals.

I'm not sure what DirecTV has to offer. For example, if I can watch something recorded off of one DVR in another room on a different DVR. That's a plus, and might remove the OTA HD need.

I've looked on the Main DirecTV website, but the info is not really geared towards someone coming from Dish.

Thanks

It's hard to make a direct comparison to Dish, since the offerings are different (some pluses, some minuses).

The latest software version, which started spooling last night, includes MRV (multiroom viewing). It will allow a program recorded on a HD DVR to be viewed from any other networked HD receiver (the H20 cannot be networked, however). This feature is free during the "beta" period, but will probably have a small monthly charge later on. The HD DVRs support 2 simultaneous recordings (any combination of satellite and OTA). SD receivers and DVRs don't support MRV or OTA, but the HD devices will work fine on SD TVs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts