Considering moving from an HR34 to an HR54

Status
Please reply by conversation.

diitto

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
Hi,

We have the following setup with Directv. An SL3T-SWM Slimline Single Wire Ka/Ku Dish. Single wire input from that dish to a 4-way SWM Splitter (MSPLIT4R1-02). Three of those four outputs go to the following.

HR34-700 Genie
C31-700 Genie Mini
HR22-100 HD DVR (with a Directv DECA at the HR22 input to split out home network signal on to Ethernet cable)

And the 4th Splitter output goes through another DECA and connects via Ethernet to our home network.

Beginning last October (2015) the HR34 began having some significant operational issues and apparently all or at least most HR34’s in the Directv network are having the same issues. The receiver responds terribly slolwly to input commands. Directv claims it was due to a software push that went wrong. They claim to be working on a fix but I an many others are beginning to believe such a fix will never come.

Based on that I am considering not fussing further with Directv but to instead purchase my own upgrade to that receiver. And beyond the HR44, I am considering the HR54. But I’ve heard changes might be required to my system to accommodate an HR54.

Can someone who knows share with me what I would need to change, if anything, prior to replacing my HR34 with an HR54??? And what does an HR54 have that the HR44 lacks??? Just trying to learn which way to go if I decide to abandon the HR34.

And if I should buy an HR54 from say SolidSignal, is it an assured thing that Directv will agree to activate that new receiver after deactivating my older HR34??? I haven't purchased a receiver outside of Directv since my very first receivers over 10 years ago. I just don't know if Directv has some policy about only activating receivers they supply??? Let me know...

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks…

Reactions: whitewolf8214
I bought an HR54 from Solid Signal and got it activated no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The HR54 is needed only if you plan on getting a 4K TV to view "live Broadcast" 4k TV when they start Ist quarter 2016 . That will be done by binding 2 Transponders from the sat to the HR54 Receivers Tuners - the Hr54 has 7 Tuners the HR44 & HR34 only have 5 . Currently your set up has 7 tuners used on a Swm-8 Setup.(that will have to changed to add additonal tuners.

Another way would be to add a HR44 if you do not need 4k _but you can still get 4k By Upgrading your Client to from a C31 to a C61 and hook that to a 4k set and you would be at the same tuner count as you have now.

You could request a service call and when the installer arrives ask what he has on the truck and have him swap out the Hr34 - Most will do this if asked and you only out $50 for the service call instead of paying $299 for a leased receiver.

Also Getting one from solid signal (I) think you need to remove your Genie first from you account before they will ship you one to install (reason Only one allowed per account) So that would be some down time (TV) watching wise.

Last edited:
Reactions: whitewolf8214
The HR54 is needed only if you plan on getting a 4K TV to view "live Broadcast" 4k TV when they start Ist quarter 2016 . That will be done by binding 2 Transponders from the sat to the HR54 Receivers Tuners - the Hr54 has 7 Tuners the HR44 & HR34 only have 5 . Currently your set up has 7 tuners used on a Swm-8 Setup.(that will have to changed to add additonal tuners.

Another way would be to add a HR44 if you do not need 4k _but you can still get 4k By Upgrading your Client to from a C31 to a C61 and hook that to a 4k set and you would be at the same tuner count as you have now.

You could request a service call and when the installer arrives ask what he has on the truck and have him swap out the Hr34 - Most will do this if asked and you only out $50 for the service call instead of paying $299 for a leased receiver.

Also Getting one from solid signal (I) think you need to remove your Genie first from you account before they will ship you one to install (reason Only one allowed per account) So that would be some down time (TV) watching wise.
I'll disagree on the down time .... D* will have no problems turning a HR34 off and activating a HR44 or 54 if you have the needs for a 54.

Okay-The reason I said that is because silid signal might not ship one with one active on the account already? But you may know that not true?

As an installer I find the HR34 reliability is not as good as the HR44. The HR54 is pretty new and I hope it is better than the HR34. It seems there comes a model once in awhile that just doesn't cut it when compared to other models. I am still using a HR20 in my personal system. It had it's own set of issues but is better than the HR22 I also have in my personal system. My HR24 is the best of the bunch. Yes I have all DVRs in my system. Sure beats what a Genie can do as good as the Genie is.

As an installer I find the HR34 reliability is not as good as the HR44. The HR54 is pretty new and I hope it is better than the HR34. It seems there comes a model once in awhile that just doesn't cut it when compared to other models. I am still using a HR20 in my personal system. It had it's own set of issues but is better than the HR22 I also have in my personal system. My HR24 is the best of the bunch. Yes I have all DVRs in my system. Sure beats what a Genie can do as good as the Genie is.
I use to run the HR20 for many years, the other models came and went with the HR20 out performing it, until the HR24 came along.
Now that I have a very good HR44 along with the rest of my HR24's, I'm set.

I still have an HR20 as well as an HR24. The 20 hasn't had any issues, not yet anyways.

I have an HR20 as well. One of the very first. Still on its original disk drive.

1) the HR54 doesnt do 4k unless your passing it off to a C61K, which means ANOTHER $100 for the new mini. but you need to buy the RBLNB to get THAT to work anyway (for live broadcasts), which will be more money on top of that.

2) where is this information about 7 tuners? last i saw it still only had 5 tuners available. not 100% on this though.

1) the HR54 doesnt do 4k unless your passing it off to a C61K, which means ANOTHER $100 for the new mini. but you need to buy the RBLNB to get THAT to work anyway (for live broadcasts), which will be more money on top of that.

2) where is this information about 7 tuners? last i saw it still only had 5 tuners available. not 100% on this though.
The HR54 takes up 7 tuners, even though it only uses 5 of the 7 tuners.

No, it has seven tuners but the last two are only usable for signals on 99cr from the reverse band LNB (which means right now they are not usable since there is no programming there)

I suspect if you want to get linear 4K that Directv will supply you with the lnb and C61 client at no charge.

I suspect if you want to get linear 4K that Directv will supply you with the lnb and C61 client at no charge.
Dont see how 4K is any different than when we went from SD to HD. I was quoted $300 back then (many moons ago) when I ditched my DIRECTV TiVO (Phillips 80 hours) for an HR20. I was able to get it a reduced cost however. So I don't expect that just by calling DIRECTV and saying that I want 4K, DIRECTV will be giving out a C61K at no charge. I would assume that same terms for upgrading currently will apply. If you are eligible for a free upgrade you may get the C61K at no cost with a 2 year commit, otherwise there will be a $99 charge

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts