Considering new service in MSP

claw

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 22, 2004
I am considering switching from DirecTV to Dish; mainly for BBCA HD. Giving up full-time FSN-North will be the downside.

Sling could be the difference maker. Living alone, I could never justify more than 1 receiver during my time with DirecTV.

A couple of questions; the Dish web site does not seem to allow you to specify that you want sling capability with the current promotions. So I assume I would need to call to sign up and specify I want sling (722 and adapter or 922).

If I ask for a 922, then I assume they will add the $200 fee. But if I ask for a sling capable 722, would I be charged extra over say a 612 which is what the sign-up wizard always configures my order to include?

Also, I assume I need to see 129, 119, and 110. What dish would that be? And could I reuse the existing Directv mount with the dish?

For your dish mount, I think it doesn't matter so long as its in a location that allows the dish to be turned and receive the signal correctly. That's one of the reasons I'm on ground level with my dish, near the southern corner of the house.. so that if they had to turn any direction but back into the house, they could and could get line of site clearance.

As for Sats ... not sure if you'd be Eastern or Western ARC .. eastern is 61.5, 72, 77, and I just upgraded to Dish HD back in Dec.. and noticed they removed the old dish (not oblong enough) and now have the tripple LNB rather than older dual, but that they also changed the direction they were aimed... by eye sight it looks maybe 30 degrees from where it was (again by eyeball), the old ones for me were 110 & 119 (virginia)

The 722k is a dual in / dual out receiver. When you attach the SlingAdapter, it takes over the TV2 tuner when it is in use. With the 612 being a solo (dual in / one out) box, its likely not able to support the Sling Adapter.

If you can afford the money, you might be just as well off with the Sling Box Pro (HD) but they currently charge an additional fee for the Slingbox Stand Alone applications (for iphone/ipad, for android, etc the site shows 29.99 each) ... someone says you're able to use the dish remote access portal ... I don't know, don't have a Slingbox (just a SlingAdapter)

I think you have to specify two TVs (1HD 1SD) for that builder to configure a 722k/722/622. They say they will provide any of the three as they show them as equivalent. Just hold out for a 722 or 722k when the install is made. Have them run a TV2 cable to another room to a SD TV if you want. You don't have to use the DVR is dual mode. I have my house wired all over to a single 722 using component and HDMI splitterrs to get HD everywhere I want it. You might want to contact DishStore, one of this site's sponsors. They have been offering the best deals going with additional rebates not offered by E^ itself.

While Mpls will work on either arc in November they switched it back to being new install on western arc

For new customers in the following DMA's they will be getting setup once again with Western Arc setups effective December 9th. THIS MOVE DOES NOT EFFECT CURRENT CUSTOMERS.

Atlanta, GA
Cleveland, OH
Huntsville, AL
Nashville, TN
Richmond, VA
Birmingham, AL
Detroit, MI
Memphis, TN
Norfolk, VA
St. Louis, MO
Charlotte, NC
Ft. Myers, FL
Minneapolis, MN
Orlando, FL
Tampa, FL
Chicago, IL
Grand Rapids, MI
Mobile, AL
Raleigh, NC
W. Palm Beach, FL

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/235590-20-dmas-moving-back-western-arc.html

Now if the OP has line of site issues they **may** do a Eastern Arc

Any idea what the difference is? I know my neighbor got Dish a month or so before me, and we are on different satellites. He's got the rounder dish, where I've got the oblong one. I believe I was told I was on the "newer MPEG4 sat" - have they gone back to the old satellite? Or is this just a manual form of load leveling?

Just curious I guess to what difference the sat's make (BTW - I've been on approx. 2 years)

We would love to have your business at Dishstore for DISH Network. With the $125 gift card we are offering our customers who sign up for new service, it literally pays for the sling adaptor which we sell for $99.

As far as the satellites, it makes no difference wether your eastern or western arc as your going to get the exact same HD channels reguardless of what setup gets installed.

As far as sling, the 922 is a good option but it does require a $200 upgrade fee and an extra $4 per month advanced DVR service fee. Your actually better off going with the 722 for Free, and then paying $99 for the sling adaptor and saving the extra $4 on the DVR fee.

The only features you give up on the 922 is the slightly larger hard drive, and the fact that the 922 can support 3D in the future.

Personally I think the 722 is better with the sling adaptor than the 922, and I actually downgraded from a 922 to a 722.

The $4 extra DVR Fee is just not worth it going to the 922 in my opinion

Claude Greiner
Dishstore.net

I downgraded to a 722k + sling adapter from a 922 dvr as well, last November. I liked the 922 channel logos/menus and the larger hard drive but did NOT like the extra $4.00 fee a month to have the sling feature. It did not work as well as the 722k + a sling adapter did. But this downgrade was welcome due to the many problems the 922 had at the time. I am still looking forward to the sling extender coming out , so I can save the additional receiver fees on two extra 211ks, that I soon won't need.

So I might be better off going with a reseller than directly with Dish if I want a 722/722k + Sling Adapter, and no other receiver. I would not want to have an install where they come with a 612 for a single TV install, then have to immediately upgrade to a 722 in order to get the sling adapter.

And I may want an OTA receiver since some of the locals do not seem to be transmitted in HD; WFTC-My29 for example. Not so important any more as they lost the Sunday Twins broadcasts. I would need the 722k for OTA?

I found that going with Dishstore.net was the easiest route to get Dish Network for my mom in another area of WI. It is also a sponsor of this site. I talked to Claude and explained what we needed, and everything went very well. :D

If you need an antenna for OTA, just tell Claude, and he'll tell you what additional cost there may be. I use a separate antenna inside the house that connects to the back of the 722. With the 722 you won't need an extra OTA receiver, but to record two OTA stations at the same time, you'll need a 722K with two OTA modules.

P.S. Wow, claw, someone who joined at almost the same time I did but has fewer posts than I do! :wave I guess we just aren't too chatty. ;)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)