Considering Sirius purchase

Sirius_Rich said:
Don,

I have the Kenwood KVT 915 with Sirius and a Roady XT hard wired into the auxiliary port of the 915. I have an JL amped system with twin JL 10" subs and amped Alpine component door speakers. I find the XM sound tinny on talk and music "swirly" (my technical word). I suppose SQ is in the ear of the beholder and is somewhat subjective. I have spent a lot time fine tuning the 915 to give me the sound that I like. I do constantly adjust the bass with a rheostat controller. I listen to everything from Rap to Classical to talk and find the adjustable bass very handy.

Thanks for your opinion. I had to look up the Roady XT to see if it is anything I would want. I also found the Terk solution with the round Kenwood connection adapter for $79. This is supposed to make the XM work on screen like the Kenwood Sirius tuner so I may look into that. I heard that the FM modulator isn't all that great so I have been advised to avoid that route but I think you are using it into one of the aux audio inputs. That is how my PDA is hard wired to the 911.

Anyway, I was out for awhile today and spent more time with the Xover adjustments and got it sounding a little bit better. It is nowhere near the quality of the CD's and the PDA on XM yet. My Caravan's speakers are two 6" round triaxials in the front dash, two 6x9 triaxials in the front doors. And two 6x9 triaxials in the real side panels. The sub is an 8" Bazooka under the middle seat on the floor. The Bazooka was not my first choice but was all we could fit in the van and not compromise my hauling capacity I need for my business. With CD's it seems to work best at 50Hz crossover because at 60 and higher it tends to get boomy.

Don't get me wrong I like the SQ for the Roady, but just prefer Sirius'. I use the line out, it doesn't get any better for a plug and play, Sirius, XM or an iPod.

Is there a SQ difference between a plug and play versus a head unit? I don't think so. At least in my case they both go through the exact same sound system.:)

Don Landis said:
If I had a choice of an XM tuner for my Kenwood system, I would have gone with that. I'm still looking foir an XM satellite tuner solution for my Kenwood, but the experts all say it was never done for my model, the KVT911.

Is the XM Direct XMDKEN100 compatible with your Kenwood car stereo? If it is Sirius ready then chances are it is. Use that with their universal XM Direct tuner and you can tune in XM pretty much like you would Sirius on your Kenwood stereo.

edit - I just found a compatibility list that says it is compatible with the KVT911DVD. If this is your model then you are good to go.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)