Considering switch from D* to E* ...

JeffreyDJ

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 25, 2005
Nashville, TN
I have been a DTV sub for a while now. Just now switching to HD for my two HD TVs. I've quoted b\my DTV costs in another thread in the proper forum, but here's my E* costs:

1. $49.99 activation fee, refunded on first bill.
2. Above includes free installation
3. $250 lease/upgrade fee for an HD-DVR
4. Lease a second HD tuner for the bedroom
5. 6 months HD Pack/Voom Pack for $5
6. The 180+ channel package
7. Looks like bill would be ~87 a month (about 20 more then D*, but more SD/HD channels).

Now, they don't even have my address yet, this was all ascertained through anyonymous chat and may/may not be accurate (that's why I'm here).

1. What kind of deal should I expect overall? Does the above sound normal?
2. How does the quality compare to D*?

i have Standard Def. TVs, but E*'s visual quality is much better than D*'s. Also, E* has more channels that I would watch than D*. Also, E* has Muzak AND Sirius music channels.

The above does seem normal.

When you say better quality, do you mean SD, HD or both? Honestly, SD quality on DirecTV I am happy with. (Don't know about HD yet).

The only thing I'd be giving up is NFL ST at this point, oh and a free off-air antenna.

It'd costs me $349 out of pocket for installation, with a $50 credit on first bill, plus ~60 for an antenna (and my time for installation). Figuring it out, it looks like i'd cost me about $200 more total then a D* single tuner HD solution when all was said and done. Not a bad deal.

I've just heard horror stories about E* reception. I'm also not sure if the above price includes all of the dishes I need. (I've heard I'd need two -- one for Voom, one for everything else).

I'm killing myself here trying to decide what to do, and probably annoying everyone else in the process! I just need to make a decision. (By default I will have by noon tomorrow, which is when DTV is coming out to install the HD Tuner).

DishNetworks HDTV is superb, it even beats are local cable Co as far as picture quality. The SD stuff, better than analog cable, but stretched out on a 36 in LCD, not good, but digital cable isn't either.

Looks great on our 4 year old Sony projection TV. My neighbor had direct, switched to Dish about a year ago, really likes Dish.

I have a 720P PJ on a 110" screen and HD is simply stunning, it is sharp and clean on Dish. I am very surprised by SD quality on my screen, but then, I only have HD & movie packages, I don't have any of the Top Whatever packs.

E*'s HD quality picture is better than D's but not their offering in quantity, charlie still hasn't gotten off his ass and offered the other big "3" (ie. fox, abc, and nbc) in HD. This is the only thing holding me back. In my opinion, you should wait a little longer the for mpeg 4 offering from the voom satellite. Charlie's present offering is'nt substantial enough yet, and it doesn't appear he's going to support any further HD offering at all in the MPEG 2 format ( I must say though I do miss sirius, but I have a house unit now). Good luck.

i dont have HD, but i can tell you that the SD's PQ is very stunning. We have a 14 year old TV and a 7 year old TV, and the PQ has never looked so good. on D*, everything was ok, it pixelated some of the time and the picture was very weak

JeffreyDJ said:
I have been a DTV sub for a while now. Just now switching to HD for my two HD TVs. I've quoted b\my DTV costs in another thread in the proper forum, but here's my E* costs:

1. $49.99 activation fee, refunded on first bill.
2. Above includes free installation
3. $250 lease/upgrade fee for an HD-DVR
4. Lease a second HD tuner for the bedroom
5. 6 months HD Pack/Voom Pack for $5
6. The 180+ channel package
7. Looks like bill would be ~87 a month (about 20 more then D*, but more SD/HD channels).

Now, they don't even have my address yet, this was all ascertained through anyonymous chat and may/may not be accurate (that's why I'm here).

1. What kind of deal should I expect overall? Does the above sound normal?
2. How does the quality compare to D*?

go for it . i did today

Well, good news/bad news. I ended up staying D* for right now, and took the $149 total cost deal (Installed, etc.). I do have a one year commitment, but I decided since I already had D*, that would give both E* and D* time to sort out any HD/MPEG4 issues that are coming down the pike.

After the $250 Customer Retention bonus, and other Misc. Credits, the HD receiver will end up costing me ~$40. I figured it was less a risk either way, this way, and in a year I can reassess on a level playing field, because both should be deep into any upgrade they have.

If I were a first-time LOOKING for Satelite, there is no Question E* would have won out at this point, and in fact almost did anyway. For the same level of service, E* was by far the cheaper source. As it is, I gave up a DVR and HD in both rooms by sticking with D*, but this was the easy way out for the moment, and was almost "free" -- excluding the one year commitment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)