Considering switch from Dish Net

Status
Please reply by conversation.

K4LK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sorry if this has been covered before.

I have been with Dish since VOOM went dark. Still have a ViP622 DVR. No other receivers. I just got a 65" plasma. Everything looks stunning on it ... except Dish. I have an HDMI connection from it. Can't believe they still don't support 1080p. I am sick of waiting for Disney HD. It seems like they're always in a contract dispute with someone. The monthly bill is atrocious. Anyway, how is the picture quality on D*? What is the capacity of the hard drive? Do you like the user interface? Can I get ESPN 3D on their standard HD DVR or do I need something extra?

Thanks for the help.

You can get ESPN 3D with the HR series DVR's which is what you will get. Keep in mind ESPN 3D is not a full time channel. As for the picture quality, the HD is much better than Dish, this is if course my opinion. It is not 1080P, but no networks broadcast that anyway. They have PPV movies that are 1080P. I like the extra Showtime channels that they have in HD too.

I am in the same situation but I am thinking up upgrading my TV2 to HD and so I am looking at Direct's whole house solution. It will save me a few $$ as well. I really like my ViP622 and wonder how the Direct's DVR will compare. I use the duel buffering of the 2 tuners all the time and I know you can do that on the Direct DVR as well if you activate it by pressing the play twice (or something like that). What do you have to say about the ease of use and functions of the 2 DVR's.

One other concern is that I have RG59 running to my TV2 and I believe that Direct would have to replace that with RG6 (not and easy task), where as Dish's new system could use the RG59. But who knows when that will become available.

You will most likely get HR24 DVR units, which have a 750GB drive (they may be shipping with 1TB drives now, I'm not sure), and an eSATA port to upgrade it to up to 2TB. The capacity is dynamic, the space required for a given program depends on how it was encoded. Sports takes up more than an action movie, which takes up more than sitcom, which takes up more than a news broadcast. Figure a good average of about 50-60 hours of HD on the stock drive.

The user interface is straightforward, but dated - it's the same one they've had since 1996 (but rumor has it there will be a new one by October). As with Dish (although you won't have endless duplicates anymore) you will want to go through and de-clutter your guide though.

As for the dual buffering, DirecTV calls it DoublePlay, and it is activated by pressing the DOWN key twice. It's an awesome feature when you're trying to watch two games at once! However, the one thing you lose with Directv's MRV (MultiRoom Viewing) system is the DVR functions on the second TV (live pause, rewind/ff), but they do work when watching recorded content. The tradeoff here though is you will now have an independent tuner for the "TV2", rather than sharing one with the DVR, and you won't be forced off TV2 when the DVR goes to record something.

As for the RG59, if it is a short run in good shape and has no splits or splices, it *might* be useable. No guarantees but the installer might be willing to try it if there is something preventing re-running the line or running a different way.. But general practice is to run a new RG6. The reason Dish could use it was because it's simply carrying a modulated Channel 3 signal, not satellite.

The main recommendation is to get everything you think you will need NOW. Don't start small and upgrade. If you think you might want a second DVR for extra capacity or the ability to record 4 things at once, get it now. If you know you'll be buying an HDTV for the basement in a couple months, get the box installed now (you will need a tv of some sort at each location in order for them to set the boxes up though). It will be discounted and you will avoid a contract extension later. DO NOT get any SD equipment, even for an SDTV. It is not capable of the MRV, On Demand, or any of the advanced guide features. The HD boxes can connect to an SDTV, and you will be much better off with them.

Last edited:
Are you sure they have a 750 GB hard drive JerseyMatt? All of the posts I have seen, including yours, say they are 500.

raoul5788 said:
Are you sure they have a 750 GB hard drive JerseyMatt? All of the posts I have seen, including yours, say they are 500.

I just had an install and the tech said the 24hd dvr's are 500gb

Sorry if this has been covered before.

I have been with Dish since VOOM went dark. Still have a ViP622 DVR. No other receivers. I just got a 65" plasma. Everything looks stunning on it ... except Dish. I have an HDMI connection from it. Can't believe they still don't support 1080p. I am sick of waiting for Disney HD. It seems like they're always in a contract dispute with someone. The monthly bill is atrocious. Anyway, how is the picture quality on D*? What is the capacity of the hard drive? Do you like the user interface? Can I get ESPN 3D on their standard HD DVR or do I need something extra?

Thanks for the help.
Your 622 is getting old, are you sure the picture quality on the new TV is really a bad DISH signal and not aging of the components.

I'm thinking they are 500 as well.

You can add a External Hard Drive if you like, but remember that it does not add to the total of the existing one, it replaces it.

I use a Seagate 1.5TB EHD and have had good luck.

Yeah you're right. I don't know where I read they had 750's in them but for some reason that number was in my head. My bad.

Don't forget that the HR20 doesn't do 3D, but the rest of the Directv dvrs do.

I just ment response time wise. In addition to D* I have Bell which uses E* equipment so I know how nice and fast the response times are ect,ect compared to D*'s older units. My HR22 is very very slow at times and its getting worse, where as my new HR24 is lightning fast and is comparable to E*/Bell equipment. I would always shoot for the newer models for new customers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts