Considering switch from Dish to Xfinity - talk me down?

@bruce - "I pay $133 a month total, that gets me their HD package with Starz, X1 box and the extra box that links to it, 50 down, 10 up broadband and home phone service." Is that deal available to anyone? Sounds a lot better than what I have been offered.

Thanks to all for the responses. I'll report back on the results.

The X1 is a horrible piece of equipment. It's beyond buggy - it's just ridiculously unreliable. Check out the X1 forum on avsforums if you're interested.

I had the X1 for a few months but switched back to DirecTV. It's rare to go a couple of days without some major failure on the X1. And the list of missing features is pretty sad - you can't skip 12/24 hours ahead in the guide, you can't extend any non-sports programming by more than 5 or 10 minutes, the searching/wishlist features are really weak, and then throw in missing recordings, automatic deletions, and random stuff that defies any explanation and you're in for a rough ride.

Did the OP say what Dish receiver he has? If it's a dvr does he realize that if he has any recordings, they will be lost when he cancels Dish? My in laws in Mass have Comcast. When I was there over TG they asked me to look at their new hdtv and see if I could figure out why they were getting stretched video. Took me only a few minutes to realize that unlike Dish where when you tune to a channel, you get the HD feed. There you have to tune to the 800 range to get HD. WHAT a PIA.

That is exactly the move that I am planning!! Right now I pay $190 for Direct TV and phone/internet with Century Link. I hope to lower that to around $110 with Dish/Comcast internet/Ooma.

Folks, I went ahead and gave Xfinity a try. The internet so far is fine, much faster than Uverse, but that has nothing to do with DISH.

As for TV, Xfinity has a few more channels and a better VOD selection, I think. But Lucky hit the nail on the head with his earlier post on this thread:
"On the box my in-laws have, one of my biggest issues with it is the guide. I hate the fact that once you get to a channel you have to select watch in HD and then it flips you to another station. Other than that, the set top box they have is the worst thing I have ever used. Remote response is horrible, menus are extremely outdated and in my opinion it is not good at all. Comcast internet can be great but I would never pick up cable as my TV provider."
Agree 100%, who would have thought the channel guide would be a deal breaker? The channel guide shows every channel, you can't delete the channels you are not interested in or even the ones you are not subscribed to. And the lineup has no logic, unlike DISH where all the ESPN and sports channels are pretty much together, all the kids channels are together, etc, on Xfinity they are all mixed up.

"Keep dish. Switch to comcast internet. Go with Ooma for your home phone."
I have already receieved email asking me to come back, with $30 off for 10 months. Kind of tempting. smjbh5 may have the best idea: DISH for TV, Ooma (I have OBI100, similar) for phone, Xfinity for internet.

Folks, I went ahead and gave Xfinity a try. The internet so far is fine, much faster than Uverse, but that has nothing to do with DISH. As for TV, Xfinity has a few more channels and a better VOD selection, I think. But Lucky hit the nail on the head with his earlier post on this thread: "On the box my in-laws have, one of my biggest issues with it is the guide. I hate the fact that once you get to a channel you have to select watch in HD and then it flips you to another station. Other than that, the set top box they have is the worst thing I have ever used. Remote response is horrible, menus are extremely outdated and in my opinion it is not good at all. Comcast internet can be great but I would never pick up cable as my TV provider." Agree 100%, who would have thought the channel guide would be a deal breaker? The channel guide shows every channel, you can't delete the channels you are not interested in or even the ones you are not subscribed to. And the lineup has no logic, unlike DISH where all the ESPN and sports channels are pretty much together, all the kids channels are together, etc, on Xfinity they are all mixed up. "Keep dish. Switch to comcast internet. Go with Ooma for your home phone." I have already receieved email asking me to come back, with $30 off for 10 months. Kind of tempting. smjbh5 may have the best idea: DISH for TV, Ooma (I have OBI100, similar) for phone, Xfinity for internet.

What Box did you get, Model#?

I have posted many times (Go ahead - look it up lol) Generally the best deal is DISH (Or Direct) based on equipment and other factors over getting Cable, then get the best deal you can with cable internet, and get a separate VOIP provider such as Voicepulse (most features of anyone) or OOma, or Vonage, etc... That will give the best services for a decent "bundled" cost. Charter internet makes it hard to get a good deal - at the same time makes it easy!! Hard because you can't get a discount price for a year, but easy because you just need to call every three or four months and renew the discount.

Generally the best deal is DISH (Or Direct) based on equipment and other factors over getting Cable, then get the best deal you can with cable internet, and get a separate VOIP provider such as Voicepulse (most features of anyone) or OOma, or Vonage, etc... That will give the best services for a decent "bundled" cost. Charter internet makes it hard to get a good deal - at the same time makes it easy!! Hard because you can't get a discount price for a year, but easy because you just need to call every three or four months and renew the discount.
I'm beginning to agree with you. I have an OBI100 with a free Callcentric number, works great. Xfinity 25mps internet, without bundling, costs $62 monthly. The fastest Uverse interest available here is 6mps, without bundling it is $46 monthly. I can notice a difference, although maybe not enough to be worth $16 a month. As for TV, as mentioned above I'm not happy about the channel guide and channel order, and prefer DISH to what I've seen so far, although Xfinity does have a nice VOD selection.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts