Considering switch to DISH....but have some questions.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

maggiep67

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Hello everyone. We were Directv users for about 6 years and switched to Uverse about 3 years ago. Our only complaint was lots of pixelation & freezing picture. Recently our complaints were escalating and a tech came out and spent about 2 hours fixing our service and it has been great ever since.

We are (well actually me) considering changing service. Looking for a better deal and while looking around, I found some things available on DISH that I am interested in.

But I have a few questions. We are heavy DVR users. The whole hopper/Joey situation confuses me. There are nights where we are recording 3 prime time shows at once. From what I have been able to figure out, it looks like we would probably need two hoppers and two joeys. My hubby and I are the main recorders as our kids mostly watch (kids programming).

1. Does that configuration sound correct? (We have 4 tvs)
2. Our old Directv dish is still connected to our house. Can that dish be used or do we need a new dish?
3. Any issues just canceling Uverse tv but keeping phone & Internet?
4. I am interesting in the superstations available by DISH. I am a Jersey girl (living in CA) and would love to be able to catch news from WPIX & WWOR.
Any issues getting those where I am currently living?
5. I remember when we had Directv, there was always about a 2 second delay when we changed channels before the show would come on screen.
The channel change is instant with Uverse. Is there a delay with DISH?
6. Any other advice or comments?

Thanks,
Maggie

If you want that much DVR capacity, you might want to consider going back to Directv and going with their Genie system where you have 5 tuners. Dishmight work with (2) Hoppers, but why should you have to spend money for 2 hoppers when 1 hopper can't do the job?

1. Does that configuration sound correct? (We have 4 tvs)

2. Our old Directv dish is still connected to our house. Can that dish be used or do we need a new dish?
You need a new Dish if your going with Dish, if you go with Directv, the installer will likely install a new dish

3. Any issues just canceling Uverse tv but keeping phone & Internet?
Thats cool, No issues there. U verse TV Sucks

4. I am interesting in the superstations available by DISH. I am a Jersey girl (living in CA) and would love to be able to catch news from WPIX & WWOR.
Any issues getting those where I am currently living?
more than likely no, they may have syndication rules but very unlikely now that the superstations don't really show anything good

5. I remember when we had Directv, there was always about a 2 second delay when we changed channels before the show would come on screen.
Delay with any satellite provider

6. Any other advice or comments?

For one thing, 2 Hoppers has over twice the storage capacity of the Genie... 2 Hoppers = 6 tuners (9 including PTAT, plus up to 2 more with OTA) vs 5 for the Genie.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

1. Only you can make that determination, but with four tv's, 2 H/2 J sounds about right, if you make use of PTAT, this setup should be more than enough.
2. No, a new dish would need to be installed.
3. I have no idea.
4. Superstations need to be qualified, go to www.dish.com and under local channels, plug in your zip to see if you can get them (they are sd only, WWOR was being given to everyone in HD, Dish said this was a mistake and would be corrected but I don't believe it ever was. Both still have newscast, in fact there was a lot during other times when Hurricane Sandy came through.
5. Dish dvr's do have a delay when changing channels, it has to do with the needed buffer for the dvr functions.
6. Have access to rear of all tv's clear and make sure someone there the entire time, approx 2 to 3 hours depending on your setup. And make sure programing is there before installer leaves and you understand how the most used features on the receiver's work.

Delay with any satellite provider
C'mon Claude, you know better.

OP, Dish... Hopper or VIP, is quicker than any Direct receiver...well documented and much discussed fact.

Last edited:
If you are talking about 2 prime time shows on the major networks ABC, CBS, NBC or Fox then you will be fine. As prime time anytime uses just the one tuner to record all of these channels during prime time.

I also experienced the delay you are talking about back on Directv, especially when switching between HD and SD. The channel change time on the Hopper/Joey does not have that delay.

Thank you all for your responses!

So far so good. Seriously leaning towards making the change. The superstations are MOST appealing to me as I get homesick quite often... which is why we are considering DISH over Directv.

I assumed we would have MORE recording capability with 2 hoppers. Glad to hear my assumption is right.

If we have 2 hoppers, are you limited to watching what's recorded on a particular hopper on that tv only? Or can each hopper access recordings from another hopper?

Thanks again!

Maggie

Each Hopper can access recordings from the other Hopper :) .

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)