bobvick

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2006
Northwest Alabama
Hello,

I was wondering if some of you here would give your opinions about DirecTV and their new HD offerings along with their HD-DVR receivers.
I was a DirecTV subsciber from 2001 until 2006, I switched to Dish Network in 2006 because at the time their HD offering was better than DirecTV.
I was always happy with DirecTV's service and offerings, I had the Hughes HR-10 250 Tivo HD-DVR and was always happy with it.
Could some of you who are HD subscribers tell me if the picure quality is good on the new MPEG-4 channels?
Also, what about the HR20-700, HR20-100, and the HR21 what is the difference in all of these? Which one will I get when I call DirecTV, is it random or do I have a choice?
Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bob

The new MPEG4 HD channels look better than the older MPEG2 HD channels D* has. The PQ simply is amazing.

As for receivers, most likely you'd get the HR21. The main difference between it and the two HR20 versions (both of which are being discontinued) is that it does not have a built in OTA tuner. BUT D* announced an OTA add on box at CES that will connect to the HR21 via USB. It's supposed to be out in March sometime. Prices I've heard hover around $60. But if recording OTA does not matter/apply to you then, then you don't need to worry about it. Other than that, the HR20s and the HR21 are virtually identical (yes some hardware in the box is different, but functionally they all do the same thing).

I also had the HR10-250 and have found my HR20-100 to be just as user friendly and much faster. I've had no real issues with it (it doesn't reboot like my HR10 did). And I can record all the new MPEG4 HD channels.

Thanks alot for your reply. How many hours of recording time does the HR-21 have if you dont mind to answer. Also, is heat an issue with these new receivers. On the old HR10-250, I had a laptop cooler under it to draw heat out from under it, I do the same with my Dish ViP 622, as it gets HOT!
My locals are in HD on DirecTV so I would not need an OTA tuner anyway.

Thanks alot

I think the HR21 holds about 50 hours of MPEG4 HD (slightly less if you record any MPEG2 HD). But you can get an eSata hard drive to hook up to it for more storage (note the eSata drive will replace the HR21s internal drive and not be a supplement, so you'd want to get at least a 750GB drive to make it worth while).

My HR20-100 stays right around 100 F with no external cooling devices.

Bobvick i just made the switch from E TO D have never been happier. I ve had to deal with a few csr,s already and they have come through much better than E has. The PQ is awesome. Cant say much about the Dvr since im not getting mine till next week.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts