Considering switching - ongoing credits??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lparsons21

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 17, 2009
Herrin, IL 62948
With the new price structures from both services coming up, and the cold icy day it has been today, I've been playing the numbers again. :p

With the new prices at the AEP+Multi-Sports/Premier level subscription, with 2 Hoppers or Genie+HRxx, the numbers tend to D* by quite a bit. Even counting ETF (and the offset from D* if I switch), and the $200 for the HRxx, the first year savings are about $400. Interestingly, assuming no further rate changes, the 2nd and subsequent years are in D*'s favor at that level by about $10/month. That's a first!!

But I have been able to get some very nice discounts on the premiums with Dish this past year and haven't been reading many posts about how ongoing discounts are happening with D* these days. Back when I was with D*, they were usually conducive to discounts on premiums of from $10-$25/month for varying lengths of time. Is that still true now?

Thanks.

Yes, DirecTV is still generous with discounts to keep you sub'd to premiums, or premier. $5 off a premium / month or a B1G1 is common offerings, and they can offer multiple offers.

I think if you switched you would be able to keep the pricing aggressive after your new customer promos run out.

Plus being able to record 5 things at once on a Genie is a nice pickup. (Unless you watch lots of the big-4 networks then PTAT may be better for you).

Thanks.

I watch the networks, hence the need for a Genie and an HR. My son and I have very different ideas about what makes a good watch!! :)

For me, PTAT is a definite benefit and I've enjoyed it, makes managing the broadcasts easy too, one timer does it all! With the Genie I can get the same thing, but would have to manage it a bit more. But I'm retired and time does not have the same meaning as it did when I worked for a living. I could maybe get by with a Genie and Mini since all my son and I watch is recorded with the exception of football for him, he likes to watch live. He'd welcome the switch back as he likes the NFL Sunday Ticket and ponied up the cash to pay for it the 2nd season when we were with Direct.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not going to do anything drastic until after the 1st of the year, so I've got time to do some comparisons other than financial, to ensure I'm really ready to make the move again.

With the new price structures from both services coming up, and the cold icy day it has been today, I've been playing the numbers again. :p

With the new prices at the AEP+Multi-Sports/Premier level subscription, with 2 Hoppers or Genie+HRxx, the numbers tend to D* by quite a bit. Even counting ETF (and the offset from D* if I switch), and the $200 for the HRxx, the first year savings are about $400. Interestingly, assuming no further rate changes, the 2nd and subsequent years are in D*'s favor at that level by about $10/month. That's a first!!

But I have been able to get some very nice discounts on the premiums with Dish this past year and haven't been reading many posts about how ongoing discounts are happening with D* these days. Back when I was with D*, they were usually conducive to discounts on premiums of from $10-$25/month for varying lengths of time. Is that still true now?

Thanks.

alas, E* doesn't have as much, possibly any, price advantage at this point from what I can see... (at least not at my no-premium/"Entertainment" level)... I don't say that as a D* vs. E* statement, I say that as a consumer hoping there is some way to save a few $$, even if it comes with some trade-offs.. E* *used* to be the way to do that.... :(

Yep, E* used to be the cheaper alternative, but it seems they don't want to be that anymore with these latest increases.

I didn't look at lower subscription levels because I would normally have at least Ultimate/T250 plus 2 or more premiums going at any given time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts