Considering upgrade to HD. Advice Please!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

tmbstone

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
I am in the Knoxville, TN market and can receive SD local channels currently. I currently have a 27" SD TV, but am considering upgrading my R15 to an HR21 so that when I do get an HDTV next year, I will be ready, plus in the meantime I can use DoD and connect it to my home network.

My question is this. Should I try to get the HR20-700 or just go ahead and get the HR21? I figure by the time D* has HD locals in my area, I should be ready to buy an HDTV and the OTA issue on the HR21 should be resolved. Does that make sense or should I just go ahead and TRY to get the HR20-700?

I am not aware of any downside to having the HR20 vs. the HR21. They are hard to find, however some people are having success. I have a HR21 hooked to a 27 in. SD Sony. The HD feed looks sharper than the SD feed on my locals, even at 480i.

I think the only drawback to getting your receiver now and your HDTV a year from now is the $10 per month HD Access fee you will have to pay.

Technically, I think the installers are not supposed to hook up an HD box to an SD set, but most probably won't care.

One thing to consider is that you might actually get a better deal by getting an SD DVR now for free and then calling retention later to get the HD upgrade... although that seems to be less common lately.

Technically, I think the installers are not supposed to hook up an HD box to an SD set, but most probably won't care.

One thing to consider is that you might actually get a better deal by getting an SD DVR now for free and then calling retention later to get the HD upgrade... although that seems to be less common lately.

it makes no difference at all what tv is hooked up, other than the fact the installer might be confused as to how to get it to work correctly. no one asks ever if it is high def tv. just be sure to make the installer leave you the hdmi cable that comes in the box.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts