Considering VOOM

crupp

Original poster
May 29, 2004
SC
I am considering VOOM. I have DTV rig t now. I just purchsed a new HDTV and want to be able to use it to it's fullest. Is VOOM worth the change?

I would say get Voom but hold onto DirecTV if that is what you are saying you already have. DirecTV will have 15-20 HD channels by year end, including INHD 1 & 2, which are to of the best HD channels available and are not found on Voom. they also have the HDNETS, which really don't have much of a chance of ever being on Voom. DirecTV aslo has the best line of HD receivers available including the best HD DVR currently on the market. Plus they will start offering local in HD by satellite starting next year, which Voom or Dish Network have no plan's on doing. Voom doesn't offer locals anywhere, so depending on your location that could be a problem.

New HD channels on DTV by years end ?????/

I hope this is right but have been disapointed by them all along. First of all seeing Super Bowl in HD didn't come through in my area because some station in the western part of my state didn't give approval. They stated other areas and stations were being negotiated with and nothings happened there. You go to DTV on stock info & message board stated Murdoch states 3D is the thing and not HDTV. What was stated in the trade show in Vegas by their rep was a bunch of 1/2 truths. I've had DTV for a long time but am trying Voom shortly. Think us that went into HDTV are like the first ones that bought colored sets were. You can't beat DTV's sport packages and voom got zilch there. If $$$$$ were no object - DTV for sports & # of digital channels and Voom for HD channels. Just my opinion !!!!

If you want to wait for D* or E* go ahead and join the "waiting club". I lost patient with vague promises that do not materialize to anything. If you want HD now, try VOOM. No hidden cost, $0 upfront, no contract. If you are not satisfied, return it and be done with it. If you want to keep it until DirecTv or Dish add the so called "new HD channels", you can do that to. But I would not hold my breath waiting on DirecTv or Dish.

Thanks for the opinions. I do think I will continue to do research. My big stumbling block is VOOMS association with the cable industry, which I can't stand. I have been very happy with DTV and just wish they would stop moving at a snails pace. Again, thanks for the responses

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't Rupert have vast cable holdings?

Despite what is speculated here, Rupert will NOT have many more HD channels this year. Show me a single Rupert press release that says so and I will salt my words lightly and eat them.

If you want great HD- try Voom for yourself. Voom goes great with a great TV.

It's like catsup on some awesome fries. Lighty salted, of course.

Seawaves said:
If I'm not mistaken, doesn't Rupert have vast cable holdings?

Despite what is speculated here, Rupert will NOT have many more HD channels this year. Show me a single Rupert press release that says so and I will salt my words lightly and eat them.

If you want great HD- try Voom for yourself. Voom goes great with a great TV.

It's like catsup on some awesome fries. Lighty salted, of course.
I'm afraid water-downed catsup-pq on Voom leaves much to be desired-as it was said elsewhere on this forum, pq is "high rez" not "high def" on Voom at this point in time.

Seawaves said:
nice, lol..

Well then- blame your TV for the PQ not Voom!
My T.V.????-uh, o.k. bad Mitsu 65313,which was just purchased less than 3 months ago and isf calib. last week, bad t.v., bad!!!-LMAO

Confused & its getting worse

I've been reading till my eyes are bleeding and getting more confused as I go on. All services Dish, DTV, Voom stretch the sales line to get customers but for not putting any of my $$$ up to get Voom I think it's a no lose situation. When I got DTV I had to sign or agree to keep it for a period of time (been so long I forget what the time limit was). I was able to see DTV at a friends house and was astonished how good the pic was (digital over my analog cable) and had to have it. Saw HDTV and said I'd wait for it to get cheaper and finally took the plunge ( was getting old and figured I'd better get it before I croaked) I tried to find someone that had Voom in my area to take a good peek at it but couldn't find anyone. went to Rat Shack and they dropped DTV and now spout Dish. Sears has Voom but no one knows scata on it and said they had trouble with it until a few weeks ago. I read 18" dish no good go to 24" then probably will get a free 30" upgrade on Voom. I'll follow these forums - listen to the advice - & see what happens. I agree with Seawaves that nothing will happen with DTV. When DTV offered me $25 off my bill for the next 6 months to stick around I just got a real funny feeling that what they had for HD was going to be it for the long run. Now I'm sweating that it doesn't rain Thursday for the install & hope "Murphy's Law" stays away.

alsie731 said:
I've been reading till my eyes are bleeding and getting more confused as I go on. All services Dish, DTV, Voom stretch the sales line to get customers but for not putting any of my $$$ up to get Voom I think it's a no lose situation.

Both Dish and Voom offer no money down, no commitment plans to try their HD service out.. so there is absolutely nothing to loose to try either one out and see which one you like best.

There has been no annoucement on INHD on directv. And that 15-20 HD stations on directv may only be about 10-12 for non O&O people. Those in affilate markets can subtract FOXHD, CBSHD, (NBCHD, ABCHD, PBSHD, WBHD, UPNHD) when they exist. If you want to not make a monitary investment then get VOom and wait and see what happens with Directv. If you live in the woods with no reception I would go with directv if they add all of the HD network feeds. If your in an O&O its a toss up because you probably can get a decent antenna signal as well.

mini1 said:
DirecTV will have 15-20 HD channels by year end, including INHD 1 & 2

This is total rubbish and nothing but conjecture and the promotion of unfounded rumors being spread. D* has said absolutlely nothing definitive other than to say it will increase it's HD offerings.

LOBO2999 said:
I remember reading something online about direct tv on there HD channels and I found it agian so here is a link to it http://www.w4cl.net:8090/modules.ph...e=article&sid=806&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0 Now remebr I also have voom and I too got tired of Direct tv to add HD so I got voom and I like voom and plan on keeping it no matter what.

LOBO,

these are good plans. Remember Dish put a press release as well regarding "super dish" and their "50 HD channels". Yes, this is positive but words don't buy me anymore, actions do. Right now, there is only one provider that offers 37 HD channels --- VOOM. When DirecTv catchs up, I will give them a thumb up. Right now it is a thumb down for DirecTv.

By the end of 2004, DirecTV pledged to use its new DirecTV 7S spot-beam satellite (due to launch in 2004) to deliver local stations to 30 markets in addition to those previously announced. Or (emphasis added) DirecTV will add 30 more national HDTV channels or a combination of the two, reflecting the level of demand and the available bandwidth.

Good post LOBO. But that "Or" is disconcerting. They seem to be adding LIL, and not national HD channels.

If you don't beleive that DirecTv is really not interested or committed to HD, just go to their website and try to find a package that fully describes subscribing to their HD services---you'll find it can't be done.

The only way to get the true skinny on their HD packages/services is to call them on the phone; THEN they will tell you about em---

In my opinion, if they were truly interested in luring HD subscribers to their service, they would have a pricing plan/complete service description available on their website--

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)