Constant breakups since with new software

I am getting breakups on sat channels, not ota. Sat signal strength is 99. Hope it is something in the uplink and not new software.

To the two Mods that are bickering. This has no bearing on this thread. Please take your inhouse laundry to the laundry room.

I want to apologize for the bickering. You're right, it shouldn't have happened.

Thank you for removing the off topic posts.

Hopefully Voom will get it right soon. I've always said I would reconsider them if they get things right.

We had problems last night starting around 7:00pm or so PST with FW 5.68, but my husband speculated it had more to do with the solar flares we've been having (sunspot 652) than anything Voom was doing (and I don't know if any other sat service was affected so like I said it's just speculation).

(slightly OT) Here's a link to some neat pictures from Spaceweather.com of some of the auroras from the recent solar activity burst.

This morning the Voom channels were fine, must have been some sort of issue related to the new firmware push. I did notice another thing, when you change channels you don't get the odd ball frozen frames or half drawn pixel images for a few seconds like before.

Im getting terrible audio and video dropouts here. Only on sat channels, but appears to be on every that I turn to. When I tune to OTA channels it corrects break ups for a few minutes. Sat signal is constant 94 and partly cloudy skies. Any ideas?

Hardboot

I received the update last night and this morning all my sat channels would have intermittent stutters -- lost audio and pixelation for about a second -- every few minutes or so. My Sat signal strength is a constant 95+ on these stuttering channels.

I tried soft-booting a couple of times to no avail.

Don't know if it's a coincedence or not, but I hard booted -- unplugged for 30 seconds -- and the stutters have yet to come back. (knock on wood).

hth.

I still have breakups, this is second day. Tried soft and hard reboots, still nothing. The only satellite channel with no breakups is 999. This begins to worry me - clear sky but 2 days I can't watch any non-OTA channel. Voom, what a heck is going on? Do you guys still have it?

yesterday the weather in NYC metro was horrible so it could explain the uplink but today...no problem weather wise

Conjuror said:
I still have breakups, this is second day. Tried soft and hard reboots, still nothing. The only satellite channel with no breakups is 999. This begins to worry me - clear sky but 2 days I can't watch any non-OTA channel. Voom, what a heck is going on? Do you guys still have it?

Conjuror,

You must have either the worlds worst install or the worlds worst receiver - perhaps both? I've had my receiver 3 1/2 months and, other than some well-documented PQ and PG issues, never experienced many of the problems you are having with your service. My STB is stable, rarely experience rain fade, firmware downloaded flawlessly, the PQ is nice (not perfect mind you) and everything works as advertised.

I feel your pain, but I just haven't experienced much of it. I firmly believe there exists a batch of defective receivers along with a fair number of faulty diplexers, cables, connectors, etc. due to substandard installation practice.

Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones? :) Of course, I am still waiting for my antenna to be professionally installed. :(

Riff...<EOT>

I saw a theory proposed in another thread which I believe may have some merit. If the last OTA channel that you tuned is marginal, it may be affecting your ability to lock on a satellite channel also. Often my wife will change from channel 7.1 (KABC Los Angeles) which is one of my weaker OTA stations and then cruise the VOOM channels. There can be a lot of audio dropouts or video blackouts. I think that if she left the OTA tuner on channel 4.1 which is a stronger station, maybe the satellite channels wouldn't experience the problems. I will test the theory this evening.

This is pure conjecture at this point until some research is done.

I turned about five minutes ago and haven't seen any pixelation. But I see the macroblocking in some of the scenes.

Lock up

I have had the Voom box lock up 4 times today since the update.......I have not had it lock up that many times since I have had it 60 days.. Reboot works (unplug it).. Cya Slick

You may have something there, tdillon.

tdillon said:
I saw a theory proposed in another thread which I believe may have some merit. If the last OTA channel that you tuned is marginal, it may be affecting your ability to lock on a satellite channel also. Often my wife will change from channel 7.1 (KABC Los Angeles) which is one of my weaker OTA stations and then cruise the VOOM channels. There can be a lot of audio dropouts or video blackouts. I think that if she left the OTA tuner on channel 4.1 which is a stronger station, maybe the satellite channels wouldn't experience the problems. I will test the theory this evening.

This is pure conjecture at this point until some research is done.
I have had pixelation and audio dropouts every 10 seconds or so on every channel tested. The last ota signal I had was reading 62. I went to a stronger one (84 on the meter) and immediately back to TNTHD and the dropouts and pixelation are gone. :) :) :)

Sean, I think I may be talking about the "macroblocking", not pixelation. It's when the image goes "mosaic" for lack of a better term.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)