contactor/technician advice

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hptsguy

Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
i am currently a sat technician for a dishnet rsp. ive been thinking alot lately about ways to go on my own where i get the full price for installs and sales. i just dont know where to start or how to go about it. i have a few fellow technicians that will work with me. if anyone has any advice on how i could go about this or if its even possible, please let me know. thanks.

Right now that would be a big risk as dish is cutting the amount of work it subs out to its contractors and subs by as much as %90 and in some area's is not renewing contracts for RSP's such as is rumoured to be the case for the RSP that handles western Michigan.

go the e* webcite and there is a link "how to become a dish retailer"
should give you all info you need. I've been thinking the same thing but it is hard to give up the security of being a dns employee

dnsguy said:
so was I they all said 0 posts, i'll go back

Dude,

It will snow NOTHING, until you register.

Claude Greiner, the operator of the DishStore.net, also runs the dishretailer.com website.

dnsguy said:
I've been thinking the same thing but it is hard to give up the security of being a dns employee

Hahahahahahaha, security of being an E employee thats the funniest joke Ive ever heard, if your in a dns facility thats secure then your either a new tech or your in a region that hasnt yet implimented the performance system. Job security flew right out the window in january when the performance system went into effect and techs started being sent out with 90 - 140 points a day to complete so if it hasnt hit your dns facility yet it will shortly.

I have just gotten into the Dish Network contractor business. I was in broadband before. They kinda just threw me out there on my own (they had promised training - HAH!) I have both an analog signal meter and a Birdog and I am still struggling to find the right satellite. I downloaded all the right stuff from the Birdog site. I call into the office and the guy keeps telling me I am on the wrong satellite. I could use ANY info or advice that anyone has. I am working with all kinds of dishes and receivers. HELP! If I can't do any better than this, I'm not gonna make it and the wife is gonna kill me. Thanks.

I've been in this business, since the OTA antenna days of the 1960's. into C band, and then into dbs.

Bryan, go to www.dishretailer.com and register. There are a lot of old time retailers and installers, there. Read the old posts and archives. There is a lot of good information there.

As far as meters go, the old Digisat II is still my meter of choice. Have an old legacy dual lnb on the 119 position for aiming, since the DPP twins do not work well with a lot of meters.

The most important thing about installing Dish500 or 1000 is to try to get the pole completely plumb and be a real stickler on getting all of the adjustments right on. If these settings are correct, just by horizontally swing the dish will make acquiring the signal easily. If you got 119 locked and set all the adjustments right, all of the other satellite positions will come right on.

bryan_foster3 said:
I have just gotten into the Dish Network contractor business. I was in broadband before. They kinda just threw me out there on my own (they had promised training - HAH!) I have both an analog signal meter and a Birdog and I am still struggling to find the right satellite. I downloaded all the right stuff from the Birdog site. I call into the office and the guy keeps telling me I am on the wrong satellite. I could use ANY info or advice that anyone has. I am working with all kinds of dishes and receivers. HELP! If I can't do any better than this, I'm not gonna make it and the wife is gonna kill me. Thanks.

Your mount location is critical to the whole install, if its in a location that will not aford you a line of site or the customer will loose the line of site in a short time frame then you should not do the install at that location.

As long as you have your mast/pole plumb and your dish is set to the specs for your area then all you have to do is swing left to right to pick up the sat signal on you meters and you will just have to tweak the dish to peak the signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)