Contemplating getting a 6' dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

highskies

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Texarkana
The one I'll likely get is the 69.99 special. As of now, I have a 7.5' dish, but am having a lot of issues with things here and there, trees, etc..that kind of thing. But where I'm planning on setting up the 6 footer, I should have a clear shot of the arc year around. Assuming that I get this dish tracked to where it is pretty much spot on, which I'm pretty certain I can accomplish, are any of the following feeds not doable on this dish? These will all be c Band feeds I'm referring to. I plan on doing KU with this dish as well, but I'm mainly wondering what feeds may not be doable on C Band. I'm in Texarkana, Texas. Also, my stb is the Openbox S9 if that matters.

I'll list a few feeds and the sats they are on. From this list, if someone thinks certain feeds are likely not doable, then let me know. I'm just trying to determine if this project is even going to be worth the time.

The feeds on 137W, both dvb-s and S2...are any of these likely not doable?
The feeds on 135W, both dvb-s and S2...are any of these likely not doable?
The feeds on Satmex 5 and 6, both dvb-s and S2...are any of these likely not doable?
The feeds on 107.3W, the S2 feeds...are any of these likely not doable?
The 2 main S2 muxes on 105W, one of them being NBC...are any of these likely not doable?
The feeds on 103W, both dvb-s and S2...are any of these likely not doable?
The feeds on 101W, both dvb-s and S2...are any of these likely not doable?
The feeds on 95W, both dvb-s and S2...are any of these likely not doable?
The feeds on 91W, both dvb-s and S2...are any of these likely not doable?
The feeds on 87W, both dvb-s and S2...are any of these likely not doable?

this is from my location in MN...yes means I can get it (your double negative in the post confused me) ;)
The feeds on 137W, both dvb-s and S2...are any of these likely not doable?
yes just fine
The feeds on 135W, both dvb-s and S2...are any of these likely not doable?
yes
The feeds on Satmex 5 and 6, both dvb-s and S2...are any of these likely not doable?
line of site issues so dont know
The feeds on 107.3W, the S2 feeds...are any of these likely not doable?
yes
The 2 main S2 muxes on 105W, one of them being NBC...are any of these likely not doable?
no for me. NASA mux is DVB and yes it works
The feeds on 103W, both dvb-s and S2...are any of these likely not doable?
DVB yes
DVB-S2 hit and miss
The feeds on 101W, both dvb-s and S2...are any of these likely not doable?
yes
The feeds on 95W, both dvb-s and S2...are any of these likely not doable?
not much on DVB but yes
DVB-S2 no
The feeds on 91W, both dvb-s and S2...are any of these likely not doable?
yes
The feeds on 87W, both dvb-s and S2...are any of these likely not doable?
DVB yes
part of the S2 RTV stuff yes
the other part no. See the big "SES2" thread about that

The thing with S2 is the FEC varies between 1/2 up to 9/10. The higher the number the harder it is to get
1/2 FEC...yes
3/4 in most cases yes
3/5 yes
5/6 hit and miss. You may get a signal but might get stuttering
7/8 & 9/10 no way. Not on a 6 footer unless you get some real expensive LNB"s and its just easier to spend the money on a 8-10 foot or larger dish which gets them easier

I have a 7.5' dish, but am having a lot of issues with things here and there, trees, etc..that kind of thing. But where I'm planning on setting up the 6 footer, I should have a clear shot of the arc year around.
Is it not possible to move the 7.5' to where you plan to plant the 6'?

this is from my location in MN...yes means I can get it (your double negative in the post confused me) ;)

yes just fine

yes

line of site issues so dont know

yes

no for me. NASA mux is DVB and yes it works

DVB yes
DVB-S2 hit and miss

yes

not much on DVB but yes
DVB-S2 no

yes

DVB yes
part of the S2 RTV stuff yes
the other part no. See the big "SES2" thread about that

The thing with S2 is the FEC varies between 1/2 up to 9/10. The higher the number the harder it is to get
1/2 FEC...yes
3/4 in most cases yes
3/5 yes
5/6 hit and miss. You may get a signal but might get stuttering
7/8 & 9/10 no way. Not on a 6 footer unless you get some real expensive LNB"s and its just easier to spend the money on a 8-10 foot or larger dish which gets them easier

Thanks for taking the time to go through the list for me. It appears this project should be worth the time after all. Sorry about the double negatives.
When you were mentioning FECs, you seemed to be mainly focusing on the S2 signals. What about 7/8 on dvb-s, such as 103W and the Deutsche Welle Mux for example? I noticed you said yes to the dvb-s feeds on that bird. So in general, 7/8 is not much of a problem on most dvb-s feeds with a 6 footer then?

Is it not possible to move the 7.5' to where you plan to plant the 6'?

I doubt it. For one thing, it's a mesh dish, kind of beat up looking actually, from a few hail dents here and there. So where I'm planning on putting the 6 footer, it will basically be right where everyone in the neighborhood can easily see it. It will basically be in my front yard right next to the road all of the neighbors drive by on. Looking at the pics of the 6 footer, it doesn't appear to be as much of an eyesore as does my mesh dish. If anyone asks why I have such a big dish in my front yard, I'll just lie and pretend it's the latest pizza dishes to receive DirectTV and DishNet on. They probably wouldn't believe me if I put the mesh dish there instead

Thanks for taking the time to go through the list for me. It appears this project should be worth the time after all. Sorry about the double negatives.
When you were mentioning FECs, you seemed to be mainly focusing on the S2 signals. What about 7/8 on dvb-s, such as 103W and the Deutsche Welle Mux for example? I noticed you said yes to the dvb-s feeds on that bird. So in general, 7/8 is not much of a problem on most dvb-s feeds with a 6 footer then?

until recently the answer would be yes no issues. The power has been turned down (I think) so that is a bugger of one to get. Again I'm in Minneapolis which on some C-Band sats I'm on the fringe or not a "sweet spot" of the satellite so it may be easier for you in Texarkana.

DVB-S2 requires more precise tuning than DVB. Before the new SES2 satellite went up on 87W I had issues getting one of the RTV muxes (transponders) even though it was a 3/4 FEC. So there are other factors like satellite power, transponder power etc.

Thanks for the question, highskies.
I got my first signals this week from the '$69.95' dish.
For the present, it is fixed on one satellite. That's why I appreciate your question because it encourages me to get an actuator and a dish mover.
The price and the experience of building a mount in the snow were valuable as an intermediate lesson on satellite dish installation.
papabruski

Mines in the front yard, 20+ years. Right on the corner. With 4 Ku dishes in front of it. Neighbors are amazed when I answer their "how many channels" questions.

Attachments

• 2010FirstSnow.jpg
    2010FirstSnow.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 234
Mines in the front yard, 20+ years. Right on the corner. With 4 Ku dishes in front of it. Neighbors are amazed when I answer their "how many channels" questions.

That's pretty cool actually. Almost barely notice that huge mesh dish behind those KU dishes. But of course it looks like you took those shots in the dark. In those 20+ years they've been there, has the fire department ever had to use that fire hydrant for anything?

They just flushed it out a few weeks ago. Never has been used for its emergency purpose. It's kinda deceptive, it's actually 8-10 feet away from the dishes. And there is no hose coupling on the side toward the dishes.

If you plan to mount the WSI special 6' dish out in the elements, you may be disappointed. It is very light weight construction and has not proven to be stable in winds over 15MPH in my very sheltered location. You will likely be much happier with a quality 8 or 10' "found" dish versus the WSI special. If you have no other option, then the WSI might do the trick in good weather, just dont expect too much from it.

What about 7/8 on dvb-s, such as 103W and the Deutsche Welle Mux for example?

until recently the answer would be yes no issues. The power has been turned down (I think) so that is a bugger of one to get.

I've had issues since Friday night (11/2/12). Here is a graph of BER.
329926_2859160277146_1203828635_3167443_1464452565_o.jpg
As you can see it was Friday night that the signal went to crap. It has stayed at that BER since Friday night two weeks ago. My IRD locks, reads the NIT, but there are too many errors in the audio and video. I have been using a Fortec 6 footer for the past three years or so.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)