Contest: What would you do... 4:2:2?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
hello Stargate
is the solid dish a beta-9? does it still work? it looks like it had some dents on some of the panels.

it's a beta 6.5 ft dish woks great, I have it aimed at amc 18 with duel lnbf for two 4dtv boxs. It looks dented, because of how the panels are made.

BILD0250.JPG

Here is my entry to this contest : my experiment with using ordinary telephone wire (instead of RG6) in connecting Ariza dish (aimed at Hispasat 30 W), located at the South-East corner of my house, to a switch located at North-West corner. Total length of telephone wire - 76' (50' along South wall, plus 26' on West wall). Used yellow wire for plus, and red for minus, black and green left not connected. Got quality about 40 to 50 %, but - strangely - the strength was just only 1% !. I tried to obscure the incoming waves with a sheet of styrofoam covered by aluminum foil - indeed, the quality dropped substantially, but the program was watchable. Pictures followView attachment 90143View attachment 90144View attachment 90145View attachment 90146View attachment 90147View attachment 90148View attachment 90149

Nice way to test the limits of how well your equipment will perform under extreme conditions!
Thank you for your submission and good luck!

Best regards,

What the heck...I'll enter. I want to receive all the 4.2.2 news feeds on Anik F1R Ku and I want to support the contest. My "satellite hobbyist's laboratory" isn't elaborate, but it has a unique feature. Mounted on a 4-legged "portable" tower that requires endless monitoring to ensure the mast remains plumb, the concept was to be able to move the laboratory around my yard to find the sweet spot to best allow the motor/dish assembly to peak through all my trees. My yard is a satellite hobbyist's nightmare due to a continuous lineup of trees near and far across the southern property boundary. I even have the most expensive mast support devised at the base of the mast: a heavy-duty Yaesu azimuth rotator. I used this motor because I had it available and I originally thought I could tweak the dish/motor assembly as necessary by motoring with this azimuth rotator a little either way. It turned out it was easier to manually move the assembly as and when necessary.

As you admire the laboratory, sing yourself a song to the tune of "Old Folks at Home (Swanee River)":
Way down beside the Salmon River,
Far, far from home.
That's where my dish is standin' proudly,
Down where the raccoons roam.
Long though my cable stretches to it,
Weaving through all the trees.
I know my RG6 will serve me,
Remote motorin's such a breeze!

All the world is filled with news feeds as I move my dish,
Oh...don't you know my heart is jumpin',
422's my wish!

View attachment 90158View attachment 90159View attachment 90160View attachment 90161View attachment 90162

Nice setup and good folk song. For those of you who don't know "Old Folks at Home (Swanee River)", here's a good clean Youtube video recording of it

Now we just need someone with a half decent signing voice to record something for the contest :D

Best regards,

Last edited by a moderator:
How I 4:2:2 First you gather up some dishes and connect them just so ..
View attachment 90173 View attachment 90174

Then you get a DVBS card and wrap a high powered computer around it. Then you can pump it out to the big screen and GAME ON !!!

View attachment 90175 View attachment 90176

or I could have got an Azbox MiniMe ;)

Nice switch setup with ample room for additional receivers... such as the AzBox miniMe American Edition :D

Best regards,

Ha, I don't read instructions well, so here are is my entry with my member name included in the photos this time...

View attachment 90194View attachment 90195

Me with my dish farm, and my helper putting up my 6 footer. I have an old QualiTV to try pull in those occasional 4:2:2 feeds, but oh it would be so much better with an AZBox mini!!!!

Nice pic of yourself and your "miniMe" helper! :D
The only thing you need now to complete your "secret lair" is an AzBox miniMe American Edition :cool:

Best regards,

Here's a pic of my present dish farm, followed by two pics of my satellite arc:

DSC01309.JPGDSC01310.JPGDSC01311.JPG

The 10ft prime focus C-band dish on the right, is a "Perfect 10" with an orthomode c-band feed and a Venture 24" actuator on a 7' pole I picked up last year. That Venture motor is a ball-screw drive, and you can't even hear it when it moves from East to West. The dish to the left of that, is a Prodelin 1.8m on another 7' pole which I just installed. It has an Invacom single lnb on it, and will soon have a ku orthomode feed with two brand-new Norsat 4108A lnb's I snagged off Ebay cheap. I spent two weeks scheming and planning to put that 1.8m dish on a polar mount I have, only to finally realize after trying various ways that my polar mount couldn't handle the weight. So, that's left to the future pending an Ajak H-H drive (if I ever have a hope of finding one) or a much larger and heavier polar mount. The dish to the left of that, is a Prodelin 1.2m dish on an old Primestar pole fixed on 103W with a SatAv "SL-2 Bullet" lnb. The two Dish 500's above the 1.2m are using "I" adapters with Dishpro lnb's that are aimed at 61.5 and 72.7 respectively. They replaced a single 1000.2 EA dish that just didn't give me the quality numbers I wanted. It's been heavy thunder-storming for a couple days, so the pics are a little dark.

The only thing I need now, is a new 4:2:2 receiver to check out some of those signals!

The remaining two pics are showing my satellite arc from East (left) to West (right). I can get from 61w - 123W and that's it. The tree line is 85-90' tall! To even get this, I had to remove a bunch of red pines, and 1 black oak tree.

Thanks for having the contest! Good luck everybody!

Last edited:
Sign me up for 4:2:2

Okay, here is my entry.
After spending forty years with the US government (20 active military, 20 civil service), and about half of that overseas, I retired and hit the road as a full time RVer. My dishes reflect some of these travels. Right now I am temporarily tied down while building a house with my son, so my wife and I will have a place to live when we get too old to travel. So I have put up some dishes to continue with FTA that I began in Europe in the early 90’s.
Each of my dishes has a story.
1. Bought this dish in Saskatoon, along with the Invacom QPH-031 (on #3). Both were brand new. I think I paid $75.
2. I noticed this dish on a building in Virginia where a Primestar dealer had left it. I contacted the owner of the building and got it for nothing.
3. Bought this dish in Germany. Used it for years there and for four years in Virginia. Still in good shape here in Indiana.
4. My first offset dish. It came with an Amstrad receiver used to receive Sky while in Europe. When I hit the road in my RV I took it along with a square mount to set outside and receive German TV from 121W before that went off the air. I had trouble with other campers parking in front of it and blocking the signal, so I painted it to look like a NO PARKING sign. It worked!
5. Until last year when Motosat went out of business, this dish was mounted on top of my RV. It used Hughesnet and has a controller with GPS to locate any visible KU satellite. I recently removed it from the RV and set it in the back yard. I have it hooked up to the controller which is hooked up to a router that I connect to, set up which sat I want, and let it do the work for me! I have used this dish for internet throughout North America, having been in my RV to all 49 possible states (been to Hawaii but couldn’t take the RV), and all of Canada except, Northwest Territory, Nunavut and Newfoundland. Give me a little time and we’ll make it there!

In order to do 4:2:2, I record it and play back on VLC. Winning this could make it so much easier!

Elchucko

Attachments

• DISHES.jpg
    DISHES.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Why I need 4:2:2

I invited everyone over to watch the game

It was blacked out locally, everyone was happy I could get it on satellite

But it was broadcast in 4:2:2

No football party for me

I have to get 4:2:2

Everywhere I go, that's all I can think about

It's driving me nuts, everywhere I look.

DSC00120.jpg

Ah.. I see a good sign up ahead

I'm there!

What would I do for 4:2:2?

How about build a 4 ft Offset dish from scratch?

I know, I know, I probably won't get much, if anything. But I wanted to try. People who don't know the issues involved think it is neat, those who do (like you and I) think it is crazy.

I finished it today and after several scans on my geoSATpro microHD (with an ESX242 C-Band LNB, I have a Spitfire Elite too) I haven't gotten anything, yet. I'm not sure if the azimuth and elevation are correct, I have two compasses and both give me different readings. My cellphone doesn't have a compass, so the DishPointer app doesn't work. And then there are the flat areas and ripples, I'd be better off using a wok.

There is a pivot the base for azimuth and I have turnbuckles on the sides for elevation adjustment. The LNB support slides on V struts or U channel and held in place with hose clamps. I used the Parabola Calculator to plot the arc for the ribs. 91 screws hold the hand cut/shaped aluminum flashing panels. The sheet holding the ribs is 4 ft by 2 ft.

David

greenishapples4ftscratchbuiltoffsetdishIMG_1664b.jpg

Lots of great contest entries so far!

Keep in mind that today is the last day to submit a contest entry.
The deadline is tonight at 11:59PM PST.

Good luck,

Welcome to Satellite Guys! I bet it will eventually get something. Like you said, probably just have to play a bit with the elevation and azimuth a bit :)
What would I do for 4:2:2?

How about build a 4 ft Offset dish from scratch?

I know, I know, I probably won't get much, if anything. But I wanted to try. People who don't know the issues involved think it is neat, those who do (like you and I) think it is crazy.

I finished it today and after several scans on my geoSATpro microHD (with an ESX242 C-Band LNB, I have a Spitfire Elite too) I haven't gotten anything, yet. I'm not sure if the azimuth and elevation are correct, I have two compasses and both give me different readings. My cellphone doesn't have a compass, so the DishPointer app doesn't work. And then there are the flat areas and ripples, I'd be better off using a wok.

There is a pivot the base for azimuth and I have turnbuckles on the sides for elevation adjustment. The LNB support slides on V struts or U channel and held in place with hose clamps. I used the Parabola Calculator to plot the arc for the ribs. 91 screws hold the hand cut/shaped aluminum flashing panels. The sheet holding the ribs is 4 ft by 2 ft.

David

View attachment 90569

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts